Software Engineer, Financial Data
Stripe (View all Jobs)
US or Canada
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe's Financial Data team is the single source of truth for all financial data in Stripe. Engineers on Financial Data team build platforms, tools, and products to ensure that Stripe’s financial data is complete, accurate, and timely. It supports data consumers like Accounting, Treasury, Revenue, and Cost. The use cases include reconciliation, financial forecasting, financial data analytics & business intelligence, compliance reporting, and auditing & compliance.
We’re looking for engineers with a strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you’re passionate about data, you are comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
What you’ll do
- Build large-scale (petabyte-size) financial data platform/solution/pipelines using Big Data technologies
- Work cross-functionally with many teams: Engineering, Treasury, Finance, Accounting, etc.
- Work on systems critical to Stripe’s future operation, with impact over billions of dollars of payments volume.
- Deeply understand the plumbing of modern payments and financial technology in many countries.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply.
- Have delivered production systems.
- Write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, Scala, and Java. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Are interested in understanding Stripe’s complex financial data problems.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in).
- Experience with Spark and Scala.
- Experience with big-data technologies like Presto, Flink, Kafka, Redshift.
- Experience with financial or payments technology, including large-scale reconciliation of datasets, SOX/PCI compliance.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. If you are a solid engineer and eager to work on data or financial related platforms/products, we are eager to talk to you.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄