Software Engineer - Map Content Creation
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Lead Software Engineer to join Aurora’s AVMap Team. The AVMap Content Creation Team is responsible for the tools to create and deliver a high quality map in the representation required by the Aurora Driver autonomy system. The team is also responsible for the APIs that serve performant, usable and correct map data on the vehicle, ensuring its safe operation. This team also ensures that the Aurora Atlas map features can be rapidly fixed or updated to match the ever-changing world that the vehicles drive on.
In this role, you will
- Build out the next generation of tools and algorithms to generate AVMap features in the Aurora Atlas from minimal labels provided by the operations team
- Build testing, visualization, debugging and validation frameworks to test map feature generation algorithms at scale for large real-world datasets
- Improve the quality and speed of the map data on the vehicle, collaborating closely with Autonomy (Localization, Motion Planning, Perception), Simulation and Product teams
- Be passionate about supporting Map customers in testing and experimentation. The AVMap forms the base for testing all other autonomy systems on the vehicle.
- Work closely with the operations team to increase the efficiency and quality of map updates.
- Expertise in algorithms, data structures and design patterns
- 4+ years of strong C++ coding industry experience
- Hands-on industry experience with designing systems, APIs and interfaces
- Python coding industry experience
- Computational geometry, computer vision, robotics, mapping, geospatial data, machine learning, autonomous vehicles, service-oriented architecture, databases
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄