Senior Software Engineer, Core Media
Loom (View all Jobs)
1. Google Hangouts resume dive on past experience 2. Take-home project OR architectural phone screen 3. On-site interviews (2 technical architecture related to work, 1 or 2 non-technical)
Loom is the video communication platform for async work that helps companies communicate better at scale. Loom makes it easy to record quick videos of your screen and camera and instantly share them with a link. More than 14M users across more than 200k companies around the world trust Loom to share feedback, updates, intros, training, and more – every day. Founded in late 2015, Loom has raised $203M from world-class investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins, Iconic, and Coatue.
Loom is seeking passionate media software engineers to join our Core Media team to build efficient, reliable, and capable media infrastructures to unlock the power of Loom.
The small-and-mighty core media team builds the media technology directly responsible for the magical experience that Loom is known for. You will be leading the team in building innovative media features powering our product experience of Loom creation, editing, and viewing. You will be driving cross-functional projects, strongly influencing the roadmap charting the future of Loom.
- Architect and build the server-side and client-side infrastructure that enables engineering teams to build world-class video messaging products.
- Design and implement innovative media features that delight our users and differentiate Loom’s products and services from our competitors.
- Identify opportunities and drive critical initiatives to improve our media infrastructure to drive down operation and engineering costs.
- Uphold a high standard of engineering excellence because the performance and reliability of media infrastructure directly impact our product experience, hence the perception of Loom’s overall brand.
- Diagnose and improve the quality of the end-to-end video experience. Optimize our media pipelines to be performant across all the platforms that Loom is offering (iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, Chrome Extension)
- Display strong ownership and influence over the team's roadmap and, therefore, significantly impact the company's strategy.
What We're Looking For
- Passion for opening black boxes to solve new and existing problems
- Experience and passion for working across multiple platforms, operating systems, and programming languages.
- Experience with software development processes, including source control, bug tracking, and design documentation.
- Experience with collaborating cross-functionally between groups with different technologies and pipelines
- Experience with concurrency, multithreading, and real-time systems.
- Experience with languages that require memory and resource management.
- Experience with profiling and optimizing resource-intensive applications.
Nice to Have
- Experience with developing cloud service and streaming technologies.
- Experience building FFmpeg filters or have worked with FFmpeg APIs and tools.
- Experience with at least one mainstream media codecs and container format (VP8/x264/AAC/HLS etc.).
- Experience with video/audio distribution or streaming technologies.
- Experience in WebRTC or other Web media APIs
Perks at Loom
- Competitive compensation and equity package
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents (for US employees)
- 14 paid company holidays plus Summer Break in July and Winter Break in December
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
- Healthcare reimbursement (for International employees)
- Life, AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) with 4% company matching
- Wellness stipends
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid parental leave
- Remote work opportunities
- Professional development reimbursement
- Home office & technology reimbursement
How We Work
Loom = Equal Opportunity Employer
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄