Staff Electrical Engineer
Samsara (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, CA
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which helps to digitize the world of physical operations, providing visibility and empowering entire sectors of our economy to become more safe, efficient, and sustainable. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 2,000 people globally and collect more than 40 billion minutes of video footage and 5 trillion data points annually.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including video-based safety, vehicle telematics, apps and driver workflows, equipment monitoring, and site visibility. As part of a newly public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Best Place to Work by Built In 2022
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
Every year, we partner with our customers to deliver outcomes like conserving millions of gallons of fuel, saving millions of dollars, and creating positive environmental change. As more customers connect to our platform, our data grows, our AI models get smarter, and our opportunities expand.
About Samsara Hardware Engineering:
Samsara's hardware systems bridge the gap for the rapidly evolving world of physical operations to a cloud platform that enables our customers to increase the safety, efficiency, and sustainability of the operations that power the global economy. The hardware footprint is big – we build ultra low power sensors, ruggedized asset trackers, vehicle ADAS systems with AI/ML, telematics systems, rackmount video inspection with AI/Ml and maybe much more. We leverage myriad technologies including low power MCUs, beefy SoCs, DSPs, LTE, GPS, BLE, WiFi, imaging sensors, ML/AI/CV, accelerometers, and more. Our challenges span the gamut from seeking out single digit microamps to thermals to desense to cost reduction to antenna design to enclosure design that survives extreme environments.
About the role:
We’re looking for a Staff Electrical Engineer to join our team. In the day to day, you will be responsible for guiding the architecture and design of multiple products after leading thorough feasibility, design, and cost studies encompassing chipset selection, thermals, antenna, etc. We have a tremendous amount of telemetry and access to customers that help guide our design process. You will crawl around equipment and industrial facilities working directly with our customers to ensure we lead the industry in our product design.
We run a collaborative process working closely with Product Management, PD, FW, EPM, and Hardware leadership to make excellent tradeoffs and decisions. Throughout this process, you’ll mentor other engineers. The US and Taiwan EE teams are supported by the Supply Chain team, laboratories, JDM design resources, and a growing supply base.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: Your efforts will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, reduce emissions, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You are the architect of your own career: If you put in the work, this role won’t be your last at Samsara. We set up our employees for success and have built a culture that encourages rapid career development, countless opportunities to experiment and master your craft in a hyper growth environment.
- You’re energized by our opportunity: The vision we have to digitize large sectors of the global economy requires your full focus and best efforts to bring forth creative, ambitious ideas for our customers.
- You want to be with the best: At Samsara, we win together, celebrate together and support each other. You will be surrounded by a high-caliber team that will encourage you to do your best.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Ship successful products
- Conduct research: Stay abreast of the latest silicon possibilities from all the top semiconductor companies
- Be an architect: Evaluate system feature tradeoffs and create the system specifications for development with product management and cross-functional engineering teams
- Lead the development process from prototyping through field validation according to performance, cost and schedule goals.
- Mentor, coach, and uplevel the team around you. You will be a role model.
- Manage: We bolster our internal development team with top JDM companies to design, validate, certify and manufacture quality products, certification labs and other external consultants.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 10+ years of experience shipping high volume hardware programs with ODM and JDM partners
- Systems design expertise including chipset/SoC selection, power, antennas/RF, batteries, PCB design, etc.
- Proven record navigating tradeoffs between design, manufacturability, schedule, and cost
- Worked on a wide variety of systems for different use cases including automotive, indoor and outdoor industrial areas leveraging low power, wireless (LTE, BLE, WiFi, GPS), embedded AI/ML, imaging, sensors, etc.
- Proven record of system bring up/debug including desense, validation, power, etc.
- BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical field
- Ability to travel up to 10% to Asia when necessary
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄