Systems Engineer - System Architecture and Integration
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. The Systems Engineering team at Aurora is seeking a candidate with expertise in software architecture, engineering, and integration of safety -and mission- critical software systems.
Aurora’s Systems Engineers work closely with engineering design teams to develop sound and implementable design concepts and requirements. Collaboration and teamwork are essential for bringing various stakeholders together, and guide implementation decisions across different disciplines.
In this role, you will
- Define the autonomy system architecture:
- Synthesize information from various sources to define the autonomy system at various abstraction layers
- Participate in the functional decomposition of the greater Aurora enterprise
- Work alongside software engineers to allocate functions to software elements
- Support design decisions at the architectural level providing critical insight into the broader impact across the autonomy system
- Define the software interfaces with and within our autonomy system:
- Specify data flow, flow control, timing, memory usage, and message contents to ensure synchronization, correctness, and completeness
- Collaboratively negotiate new interface contracts between various parts of the autonomy system in partnership with software engineering teams
- Systematically document the designed interactions of adjacent modules
- Generate integration requirements
- Establish an integration plan and directly support integration activities to:
- Incrementally assure performance as modules are combined
- Identify issues that are not easily discoverable when modules are viewed in isolation or are obfuscated at the system level
- Communicate and help resolve interface errors to mitigate risks before the release of the final build
- Participate in cross-functional planning for future autonomy and vehicle systems to preemptively identify gaps and/or excesses in expected capabilities or performance
- Bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering, or a related specialized area or field (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering) and a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum 4 years of experience with software architecture, engineering, and integration in safety- or mission- critical systems
- Experience writing testable requirements
- Strong organizational and communication skills; ability to effectively coordinate efforts and requirements across a large number of stakeholders across the organization
- Experience with Linux kernel and real-time operating systems
- Experience with robotics middleware and distributed messaging frameworks such as ZeroMQ, LCM, and/or gRPC
- Knowledge of both high and low-level communication protocols, from I2C and SPI to CAN and TCP/IP Protocols
- Proficiency in C++ and Python
- Proficiency in JAMA for requirements management
- Proficiency in Cameo or other modeling tools
- Program management experience
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄