Systems Engineer - Autonomous Driving
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Systems Engineer, Autonomy.
Aurora’s Systems Engineers work closely with engineering design teams to develop sound and implementable design concepts and requirements. Collaboration and teamwork are essential for bringing various stakeholders together, and guide implementation decisions across different disciplines.Aurora’s Systems Engineers work closely with engineering design teams to develop sound and implementable design concepts and requirements. Collaboration and teamwork are essential for bringing various stakeholders together, and guide implementation decisions across different disciplines.
In this role, you will
- Own the definition of vehicle behaviors, capabilities, and contexts based on:
- Developing Use Case definitions
- Developing Concept of Operations that captures sufficient detail to drive Safety Analysis, Platform Requirements, and feature/function definition.
- Developing/Reviewing Operational Design Domain (ODD) ontology.
- Analysis of applicable policy/regulatory matters in collaboration with subject matter experts
- Collaborate with Software Engineering and Safety Engineering to
- Help define and analyze the system architectures for realizing needed capabilities.
- Define system level requirements for AV capabilities, end-end behavior, and applicable performance metrics
- Apply first principles and data analysis (based on logs / available data) in order to rationalize the desired system level requirements
- Where appropriate, develop sub-system requirements with sufficient traceability and assist in establishing traceability workflows and tools
- Co-develop relevant analyses (Eg. SOTIF, Hazard Analysis etc.) in order to develop and define requirements
- Facilitate cross-functional co-development activities and working groups across systems, safety, software and hardware including facilitation of design reviews, reconciliation of requirements and producing high quality documentation with embedded traceability
- Collaboratively define, negotiate, and document interface contracts between various parts of the software architecture
- Develop verification and validation plans and demonstrate coverage against requirements, in conjunction with software and safety teams.
- Refine existing workflows and develop new ones to help streamline autonomous capability development and V&V
- Bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering, or a related specialized area or field (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering) and a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Minimum 4 years of experience with software architecture, engineering, and integration in complex systems with safety- or mission- critical elements
- Experience writing testable software requirements
- Sound grasp of the elements of autonomous driving technology
- Experience evaluating systems relative to automotive safety standards/guidelines (ISO 26262, SOTIF, MISRA etc.)
- Strong organizational and communication skills; ability to effectively coordinate efforts and requirements across a large number of stakeholders across the organization
- BS, MS, or better in Software Engineering or related STEM fields
- Strong knowledge of at least one of the key technologies for autonomous driving e.g. Perception, Motion Planning, Localization, SW Engineering etc.
- Knowledge of middleware and communication frameworks like ROS, DDS, AUTOSAR
- Proficiency in C++ and Python
- Program management experience
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄