Safety Engineer - Software Safety
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. This role is within Aurora's Safety Engineering group, which is responsible for the engineering work of designing and developing architecture, algorithms, and tools needed to ensure that the Self Driving Vehicle meets Aurora's Safety Case - an unsolved problem for the industry and one of the most difficult challenges in the history of system safety engineering. Our team is responsible for understanding the functionality of the full stack and helping to define operational parameters important to maintain safe driving conditions. The successful candidate will be a self-starter and able to work independently, learn, tailor and execute processes, and perform in a collaborative environment.
In this role, you will
- Take a leading role in ensuring the self-driving system is able to preserve key functionality and continue meeting safety goals in the presence of faults, failures, and functional limitations
- Review and validate complex software systems to ensure system safety
- Collaborate with software subject-matter-experts to identify necessary safety mechanisms and architecture improvements to achieve safety goals
- Develop strategies to detect faults and specify the intended behavior for the fault to ensure that the self driving system preserves key functionalities while performing a mission
- Define test, verification, and validation plan for all software product capabilities for self driving vehicles
- Build, integrate, collaborate with other engineers to maintain the fault injection tooling systems to validate the product capabilities of self driving vehicle
- MS or PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, or similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of industry experience with C++ programming and software design skills
- Passion for solving challenging, impactful problems
- Strong technical background and familiarity with modern Software Development practices and designs
- Knowledge of software development, integration test, and release processes.
- Ability to demonstrate a proven track record of successfully working with large, complex teams in a results-driven environment
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and evolving priorities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience with agile/scrum framework
- Experience with complex autonomous systems
- Experience in simulation, robotics, motion planning, or controls
- Experience in the autonomous driving industry
- Working knowledge of Python
- Experience with hardware in the loop (HIL) testing
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄