Autonomy Systems and Safety Engineer
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. The Systems and Safety Engineering team at Aurora is seeking a candidate with expertise in robotics, engineering, and integration of safety- and mission- critical software systems.
Aurora’s Systems and Safety Engineers work closely with engineering design teams to develop sound and implementable design concepts and requirements. Collaboration and teamwork are essential to bring various stakeholders together, and guide implementation decisions across different disciplines.
In this role, you will
- Own the definition of vehicle behaviors, capabilities, and operational contexts:
- Develop Use Cases;
- Develop Concepts of Operation that support Safety Analysis, Platform Requirements development, and feature/function definition;
- Develop Operational Design Domain (ODD) ontology;
- Identify applicable policy and regulations in collaboration with subject matter experts.
- Collaborate with Software, Systems and Safety Engineering teams to:
- Help define the system architectures;
- Define system level requirements for AV capabilities, end-to-end behavior, and applicable performance metrics;
- Perform data analysis to rationalize the desired system level requirements;
- Decompose requirements down to sub-system level with sufficient traceability.
- Support requirement management workflows, traceability and tooling;
- Facilitate cross-functional co-development activities and working groups across systems, safety, software and hardware including support to design reviews, reconciliation of requirements and producing high quality documentation with embedded traceability.
- Develop verification and validation plans and demonstrate coverage against requirements, in conjunction with software and safety teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area or field (Physics, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering) and a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or a Master’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum 4 years of experience with software architecture, engineering, and integration in safety- or mission-critical systems
- Experience writing testable software requirements
- Sound grasp of the elements of autonomous driving technology
- Experience evaluating systems relative to automotive safety standards/guidelines (ISO 26262, SOTIF, MISRA etc.)
- Strong organizational and communication skills; ability to effectively coordinate efforts and requirements across a large number of stakeholders across the organization
- Proficiency in Python, experience with data manipulation and analysi
- Proficient in the applications of Artificial Intelligence or Autonomous Systems technologies (e.g., Reinforcement Learning, Deep Learning, Machine Learning) to sensing, perception, multi-unit planning or command and control of autonomous systems
- Working knowledge C++
The base salary range for this position is $156,000.00-$234,000.00 per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄