Senior Staff Software Engineer (Perception - Computer Vision/Machine Learning)
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. We are looking for machine learning experts to develop and implement the core algorithms for interpreting sensor data that enables intelligent driving decisions. You will be developing and applying learning-based algorithms related to sequential prediction, recursive state estimation, and classification for object detection and tracking.
In this role, you will do the following:
- Collaborate with other members of the Perception autonomy team to improve/ideate and implement perception algorithms that power the Aurora Driver
- Serve as a technical expert for the team on at least one area related to machine learning, with particular focus on computer vision, recursive state estimation, structured prediction, optimization, and others
- Research and develop state-of-the art deep learning/machine learning models to improve our perception solutions under challenging and diverse scenarios (e.g., on highways and city streets, long-range and multi-sensor object detection, detection under degraded sensors, etc.).
- Design, prototype and evaluate machine learning algorithms and DNN architectures for detection of traffic actors, their action recognition, and semantic understanding of various traffic scenes that the Aurora Driver encounters.
- Integrate, test, and deploy production-ready solutions into the production code that powers the Aurora Driver.
- Excellent software engineering skills in Python and/or C++
- Extensive exp in any deep learning framework, such as PyTorch, JAX, TensorFlow
- Extensive exp in Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, or other relevant areas of Artificial Intelligence (e.g., as evidenced by industry experience, publication record)
- Relevant industry experience (prior work on self-driving vehicles, autonomy, and/or robotics projects)
- Contributions to open source project(s)
- Strong track record in any field related to machine learning, as evidenced by top-tier publications
- Examples of relevant fields and conferences: computer vision (e.g., CVPR, ECCV, ICCV, IJCV), machine learning (e.g., ICML, NeurIPS, JMLR, PAMI), robotics (e.g., RSS, IJRR), graphics (e.g., SIGGRAPH, TOG)
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄