Staff Software Engineer, Machine Learning (Perception)
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly to make transportation safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. The Aurora Driver is a self-driving system designed to operate multiple vehicle types, from freight-hauling semi-trucks to ride-hailing passenger vehicles, and underpins Aurora Horizon and Aurora Connect, its driver-as-a-service products for trucking and ride-hailing. Aurora is working with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem, including Toyota, FedEx, Volvo Trucks, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, U.S. Xpress, Werner, Covenant, Schneider, and Ryder. For Aurora’s latest news, visit aurora.tech and @aurora_inno on Twitter.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. We are looking for machine learning and computer vision experts to develop and implement the core algorithms for interpreting sensor data that enables intelligent driving decisions. You will be developing and applying learning-based algorithms related to sequential prediction, recursive state estimation, and classification for object detection and tracking.
In this role, you will:
- Have an opportunity to tackle end-to-end Perception challenges across various areas relevant to the autonomy system. This includes working on detection and tracking of traffic actors, their action recognition, and semantic understanding of various traffic scenes that the Aurora Driver encounters
- Research and develop state-of-the art deep learning/machine learning models to improve our perception solutions under challenging and diverse scenarios (e.g., on highways and city streets, long-range and multi-sensor object detection, detection under degraded sensors, etc.)
- Collaborate with other members to ideate and improve the Perception system from problems encountered in on-road and simulated testing, and produce robust, well-tested software
- Guide the software development from prototype to production, including training and analysis on large-scale data sets, as well as deploying production-ready solutions on a real-time AV platform that powers the Aurora Driver
- Example projects that a candidate could potentially contribute to (list not exhaustive):
- Design and implementation of state-of-the-art object detection from multimodal sensors
- Design algorithms to extract, leverage, and fuse complementary information from different sensors
- Design and implement state-of-the-art ML systems for object tracking leveraging expertise in recursive state estimation, temporal models, structured prediction, and sequential models
- Analysis of failure modes and implementation/testing of solutions to address the surfaced issues
- Build and scale ML pipelines for quick experimentation, as well as large-scale training and testing
- Expertise in one or more relevant focus areas of ML: deep learning, computer vision, recursive state estimation, structured prediction, optimization, and others
- Strong publication record at top-tier robotics/computer vision conferences/journals, or significant industry experience in relevant fields (robotics, computer vision, self-driving technology)
- Strong grasp of fundamentals: linear algebra, discrete and continuous optimization, supervised and unsupervised methods, generative and discriminative methods
- Good knowledge of C++ and Python
- Experience with CUDA, cuDNN, TensorRT, and other related frameworks
- Prior work on optimizing and speeding up deep networks
- Experience with PyTorch, Tensorflow, and/or other deep learning frameworks
- Advanced knowledge of C++ a big plus
- Experience with applying CV/ML to problems in robotics
- Prior work on deployment of CV/ML models on large fleets
- Prior experience in organizations where strong cross-team collaboration was needed
- Strong presentation and communication skills
The base salary range for this position is $189K-$302K per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together extraordinarily talented and experienced people united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and build a culture where we win together — all without any jerks.
We have offices in several locations across the United States, where we encourage team and cross-functional collaboration. Aurora offers competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, and additional healthcare support including medical transportation reimbursement, fertility, adoption, and surrogacy benefits. We empower our employees and their families with options to further their unique physical, mental, and financial well-being.
Our Learning and Development offerings include Aurora Academy, where our people learn, develop, and practice the essential skills that drive Aurora’s mission, continually up-leveling our team along the way. Our Careers page provides insight into career opportunities at Aurora, and you can find all the latest news on our Blog.
Safety is central to everything we do. Every employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. We seek candidates who take active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization's long-term success by working safely — no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including increased access to transportation. To realize those benefits, we need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives — a workforce that reflects the communities our technology will serve.
Aurora is committed to providing access to anyone who seeks information from our website. We invite anyone using assistive technologies, such as a screen reader or Braille reader, to email us at email@example.com if they experience difficulty using our website. Please describe the accessibility problem and include a URL (if available).
Aurora considers candidates without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law. Aurora considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
At Aurora, every employee is empowered to take an active role in building an inclusive, collaborative, and unified culture that leverages our diverse strengths, perspectives, and backgrounds.
Transforming how the world moves people and goods involves seeking to understand backgrounds, insights, and lived experiences that differ from our own. One way we accomplish that is with our 15 employee-led Aurora Unified Groups, which support diverse voices and drive inclusive collaboration. We believe that teamwork, belonging, and trust motivate and support our employees to do their best work. As our team grows, we strive to attract and retain exceptional talent that adds new perspectives and experiences and continues to drive innovation. Learn more on our Culture Page.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄