Staff Photonics Engineer
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. We’re looking for people who are as excited as we are to solve these complex problems and make this tremendous impact on our future, and who want to be surrounded by great people while we do it. We are searching for an optical engineer, who is passionate about integrated photonics, and would be excited to contribute to the bleeding edge of sensor products for autonomous driving.
- Development and engineering efforts focused on the integrated photonics components and subsystems of Aurora’s lidar systems
- MS or PhD in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, optical engineering, physics or a related field
- MS: Five years +, PhD: two years + of experience in the field of packaging integrated photonics with a focus on product tolerancing and development of packaging processes suitable for scalable production
- Experience with PLC, SiP and InP devices for performance and packaging
- Experience in testing and performance verification of optical systems
- Team player with demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills
- Expertise in photonic circuit design, fabrication, and packaging
- Strong theoretical and experimental background in electromagnetics, nanophotonics, Fourier optics, diffraction theory, imaging systems, and/or signal processing
- Experience in semiconductor fabrication techniques
- Experience in lidar, ladar, radar, laser remote sensing, and imaging
- Experience with some of the following software: Matlab, Python, Zemax, Code5, Lumerical, COMSOL, C, C++
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄