Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
$168,000 - $252,000
Programming Languages Mentioned
C, Python, C++
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Firmware Engineer to join our Embedded team who create applications for the multitude of custom hardware devices designed by our electrical engineers. We employ (and sometimes define) state-of-the-art development techniques to create robust, reliable systems with amazing levels of safety and performance.
In this role, you will
- Architect and develop highly-reliable embedded firmware
- Develop low-level CAN, LIN, FlexRay, and Ethernet devices
- Develop, debug, and test ethernet and CAN-based bootloaders
- Select, implement, and debug real-time operating systems applications
- Support hardware engineers with PCB bringup, debugging and testing
- BS/MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- Knowledge of both high- and low-level communication protocols, from I2C and SPI to CAN and TCP/IP Protocols
- Experience with low-level RTOS such as FreeRTOS
- Excellent C or C++ programming, Python and software design skills; expertise in other languages welcome
- Basic knowledge of electrical engineering fundamentals to support low level debugging
- Experience with PTP and other Time Sensitive Networking Protocols
- Experience with software development practices for safety critical systems
- Experience porting embedded OS to new microprocessor
- Experience with automotive specific RTOS implementations (QNX, AUTOSAR, OSEK, etc.)
- Experience with basic electronics test equipment, such as multimeters, logic analyzers, power supplies, and oscilloscopes
The base salary range for this position is $168,000 - $252,000 per year. Aurora’s pay ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, the successful candidate’s starting base pay will be determined based on factors including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, relevant education or training, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future. The successful candidate will also be eligible for an annual bonus, equity compensation, and benefits.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄