Senior Software Architect, Commercial Systems
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Americas, EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Golang, SQL, Python
This role is an opportunity for a senior software architect to build a career with Canonical and drive the architecture of internally developed and deployed software solutions.
The Commercial Systems team closely collaborates with other engineering and business teams at Canonical. Services designed, developed, and operated by the Commercial Systems team are used by millions of machines all over the world. Designing and developing these systems requires a high degree of understanding of distributed systems and appreciation for business critical systems and the value of data flowing between the systems. It is crucial for services developed by the Commercial Systems team to flawlessly and securely operate 24/7 and to allow for seamless integration with solutions developed and used by other teams at Canonical, while keeping security at the forefront. Apply here if you would like to be at the center of connecting all the dots and drive the architecture of such software solutions.
As a successful candidate, you will provide architectural guidance to six engineering teams within Commercial Systems that develop backend services for ESM, automate business processes, integrate a number of software systems used across Canonical, and develop an internal data lake. You will also work with engineering and business stakeholders on designing software solutions developed by the Commercial Systems team and made available to other engineering teams at Canonical as a service.
We are looking for a senior software architect with hands-on experience with Go and Python, distributed systems, SaaS, and microservices, who has the drive, energy, and skills to drive the architecture of business critical systems at Canonical.
- Drive the architecture of internally developed and operated software solutions.
- Actively seek improvements to established processes, designs, and solutions.
- Provide architectural guidance to engineering teams.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science or a relevant work experience.
- Experience as a software architect working on distributed and business critical systems.
- Experience with Golang and Python as a software engineer.
- Experience with Kubernetes.
- Experience with Apache Kafka or similar.
- Experience with PostgreSQL.
- Excellent analytical skills and both verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to collaborate remotely with a diverse set of team members and stakeholders, remain highly motivated, productive, and organized in a fully remote environment.
- Ability to travel to international destinations for one week at a time, approximately 2-4 times per year. Locations prior to the global pandemic included New York, Seattle, London, Cape Town, Budapest, Berlin, Montreal, and Brussels.
Nice to have
- Experience from finance, sales, or e-commerce domains.
What Canonical offers
- Personal learning and development budget
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform. Our services help businesses worldwide reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄