Engineering Manager, Financial Data
Stripe (View all Jobs)
US / Canada
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Financial Data team is the single source of truth of financial activity at Stripe. Our mission is to ensure the billions of monetary transactions happening on the platform clear and move between customers as expected. Internal partner team use our systems and datasets to create new products, close accounting books, generate financial statements, produce compliance reports, and much more. We measure and ensure the quality of money movement by using ML models and predictive alerts. Our financial events are predictable, complete, accurate, timely and reliably delivered.
If you are a motivated leader that is excited to work on some of the largest financial datasets in the world, the Financial Data team will provide opportunities to deliver significant impact while growing the GDP of the internet. Our team is composed of a wide range of experience from new graduates to experienced developers with strong finance backgrounds. We want a leader that can be hands-on and have the ability to create the future.
What you’ll do
- Lead a team of engineers to solve the challenges of financial data ingestion, analysis, monitoring, and repair.
- Work with Stripe leaders across the company to drive the vision and direction of Stripe’s Financial Data systems.
- Build the next generation of Financial Data platforms.
- Define and grow your team’s charter with Stripe’s business growth.
- Understand user needs and user pain points to prioritize engineering work and deliver high quality solutions to meet user needs.
- Drive the roadmap and priorities for your team, and resolve dependencies across the company.
- Be deeply involved in understanding and operationalizing revenue and pricing models for new product and market launches.
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability.
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work.
- Develop engineers on the team and align customer needs with opportunities for them to advance in their careers.
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team.
Who you are
- 3+ years of engineering management experience
- Managed team that have shipped and operated critical infrastructure and/or products.
- Outstanding technical and people management skills to manage and grow a set of highly talented engineers.
- Experienced in navigating high-stake situations. You’ll have significant responsibility in creating Stripe’s success.
- Work effectively cross-team and cross-function, and are able to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs.
- Hands-on experience in solving large scale and difficult problems.
- The desire to encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging.
- Managed team that have shipped and operated data pipelines.
- The ability to thrive on a high level of ambiguity, autonomy and responsibility.
- A genuine enjoyment of learning and diving into the nuts-and-bolts of how things work — in this role, you’ll learn a ton about product pricing and management, currency conversion, intercompany flows, finance and accounting, and many more topics.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄