Engineering Manager, Online Databases
Stripe (View all Jobs)
US and Canada
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Distributed Caching platform team is building a modern caching platform for all of Stripe. Stripe is growing rapidly and a highly available, performant, and efficient caching platform is critical to the future success of our business. We have the agenda to help the online datastores and rest of Stripe product teams achieve five 9’s of availability, enable high read throughput, reduce read latencies, scale up to millions of requests per second, be compliant and secure and build infrastructure which can work in spite of regional failures. Some of the technologies that we work with include Go, Java, memcached, AWS EC2 and Python.
What you’ll do
As an Engineering Manager in the team, you will lead the subteam to achieve the vision of a fully-managed distributed caching platform for Stripe!
- Work with engineers and other leaders at Stripe to understand and capture opportunities to better leverage our caching platform
- Work with the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical quality, reliability, security, compliance and ease-of-use w.r.t the caching platform
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and engage effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
Who you are
An ideal candidate is someone who really cares (about people, products and customers), is eager to lead a team solving challenging distributed systems problems, and is committed to investing in partnerships with other product teams to establish empathy and understand their use-cases. We're looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent field
- 2+ years experience managing teams that shipped and operated critical distributed system infrastructure
- You are passionate about engineering and operational rigor
- You have managed and worked with geographically distributed teams
- You have recruited and built great teams by partnering with recruiting leadership
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across engineering to provide a wonderful user experience
- You’re technical enough to ask engineers questions and drive clarity about architecture and product decisions
- Experience in caching technologies (memcached, Redis, KeyDB etc.)
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄