Graduate Linux System Engineer - QA, Tooling, Automation
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Worldwide
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
We are seeking a software engineer passionate about software quality, Ubuntu, and the open source community, to join the Ubuntu Quality Engineering team as we expand the set of open source packages we fully support and secure.
We see quality engineering as a first class engineering practice and are looking for people who can bring deep engineering insights to automation, testing capabilities, reporting and data analytics, as well as run processes in partnership with Canonical and community teams.
Ubuntu strives to deliver the latest-best free software components, in an easy to use and highly reliable form. We build on the technical excellence of Debian and bring additional focus and shape to the solutions we offer the industry.
As an Ubuntu Quality Engineer, you must be passionate about the future of Ubuntu, about quality and continuous integration and testing. You will work closely with multiple teams at the heart of Ubuntu and drive quality excellence. You will work closely with the Ubuntu Desktop, Server and Foundations team and put in place metrics for quality. You will research existing issues, troubleshoot and resolve problems, and identify opportunities for improvement and communicate them to the rest of the organization to drive the overall quality of Ubuntu. This is a great opportunity to start and progress your career in the QA domain.
Location: This is a Globally remote role
What your day will look like
- Monitor indicators of quality across the Ubuntu ecosystem and products
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server and Ubuntu Core
- Enhance our continuous integration to guard Ubuntu image, release and package quality
- Report on KPIs and analytical insights
- Empower other teams for better planning and constant quality improvements
- Develop, enhance and automate test cases, from unit tests to end-to-end multi machine workloads
- Work from home with international travel twice a year, for events up to two weeks long
What we are looking for in you
- A strong software engineering, Linux, and open source background
- In-depth knowledge of Python and Shell scripting
- Experience with C/C++
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and experience working with others to identify, isolate and resolve issues
- Experience with quality processes and continuous integration tools
- Experience working in an agile development environment
Additional skills that you might also bring
Experience with Debian/Ubuntu based operating system and good understanding of Debian packaging and snaps would also be a considerable advantage.
What we offer you
We consider geographical location, experience, and performance in shaping compensation worldwide. We revisit compensation annually (and more often for graduates and associates) to ensure we recognise outstanding performance. In addition to base pay, we offer a performance-driven annual bonus. We provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. We balance our programs to meet local needs and ensure fairness globally.
- Distributed work environment with twice-yearly team sprints in person - we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of USD 2,000 per year
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues from your team and others
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence - in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄