Senior GitLab Engineer, Contributor Success (Go / Ruby)
GitLab (View all Jobs)
1. A series of video calls 2. Coding exercise involving working on a Merge Request that is like a real work task
Programming Languages Mentioned
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
Our Contributor Success team is a new team. This team will play a crucial role in achieving the "Build on our Open Core strength" goals set out in our company strategy. The team's overall mission is to increase the efficiency, incentive & reward of our contribution process in order to achieve our ambition of supporting & achieving over 1000 community contributors to the Gitlab project! You’ll have an opportunity to grow our community, make it easier to contribute and support various open-source initiatives across the wider ecosystem.
What you'll do in this role:
- Make GitLab's contribution process the best and most welcomed in the world.
- Be a sounding board & provide guidance to customer & community contributors, this includes proposing new architectures of the problem space, improving the quality of the contribution in both Go projects (ex. gitlab-org/gitlab-runner) and Ruby on Rails projects (ex. gitlab-org/gitlab).
- Improve GitLab's Contribution Efficiency and Merge Request Coaching process, driven by automation (gitlab-org/quality/triage-ops).
- Be a permanent member of GitLab MR Coaches & be proficient in one or more MR Coach specialities (Development, Test, Documentation and etc).
- Collaborate with GitLab's Core and Developer Relations teams including creation of outreach efforts such as attending hackathons, creating tutorial video’s or creating blog posts
What you'll need to apply:
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with excellent organizational skills and eyes for quality.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Demonstrated code reviewing & mentoring experiences.
- Demonstrated experience with GitLab or other Git-based development platforms.
- Experience developing in Go & have proficiency with Ruby.
- Experience with Cloud infrastructure, Docker & CI/CD.
- Comfortable in working with someone else’s codebase and drive it to completion.
You'll stand out if you bring:
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science.
- Track record of contributing to well known Open Source projects.
- Enterprise software company experience.
- Developer platform/tool industry experience.
About GitLab's culture:
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary.
We are committed to your career growth. We have quarterly career development check-ins and ensure time and focus are set aside for learning activities. Additionally, we offer $10k USD per year Growth and Development benefit for those who want to further their growth with professional courses, programs, or conferences.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
Hiring Process and Compensation:
We're aware the confidence gap exists so we want to encourage you to apply even if you do not match all of the requirements exactly. The above list is intended to show the kinds of experience and qualities we're looking for. It is not a complete list of pre-required skills.
Our hiring process for the Contributor Success team typically follows five stages including an initial call with our Technical Recruitment team; you can find more information here. Candidates will have access to the compensation calculator after an initial screen conversation with a member of our recruiting team. Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄