Frontend Software Engineer - Fleet Command
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We are searching for a Frontend Software Engineer to join Aurora's Fleet Command team and take on a critical role in building Aurora's suite of interactive geospatial tools.
Fleet Command is a group of teams closely collaborating to create services and web applications that enable commercial operation of autonomous vehicle fleets at scale. Our mission is to build the software that will be used daily by human operators to coordinate the business side of our platform - evaluating potential routes, assigning work to autonomous vehicles, and managing their operation. As Aurora prepares to massively scale its fleet and integrate with partners on an API level, the tools we build will be critical to the efficient daily operation of our business.
As a Frontend Engineer in Fleet Command, you will join a team that builds interactive geospatial tools used to monitor and interact with active autonomous vehicles and the routes they are operating on. You will add new experiences to existing applications and greenfield completely new ones. Your contributions will have a significant impact on the way fleet operations function at Aurora.
In this role, you will:
- Build geospatial tools and applications used to monitor the location and activity of our entire autonomous fleet.
- Integrate with real-time and streaming data coming directly from autonomous vehicles.
- Develop data visualizations capable of clearly communicating information on a national scale.
- Work with your teammates to establish new technologies and approaches to frontend development as our stack matures.
- Contribute to and evolve our team culture around mentorship, feedback, collaboration, and engineering excellence.
- Collaborate with product and design stakeholders to plan features and build high-quality, extensible, and polished experiences.
- Phenomenal communication skills. We build software for people. We build software with people. You know how to write an effective technical spec, provide feedback to others, translate technical concepts into lay terms, and incorporate feedback into your efforts. You value and practice openness, empathy, kindness, and collaboration.
- A preference for action. You will use good judgment to balance speed and quality. You will deliver products that are built in a responsible and sustainable way. You will use a self-starter mentality to thrive in a growing environment where all hands are on deck, and consider no obstacle too big or too small. You will notice where there is a need and will hustle to fill it.
- The drive to make teams stronger. You're excited to work hard and fast to the finish line on new opportunities with a collaborative and integrated team. You will be proactive in engaging conflict with openness, patience and kindness in an environment where it is safe to lean on each other and learn from failures.
- Motivation to own the product lifecycle end to end. You’re happy to engage with our product and design teams and our internal customers to understand their needs and find ways to meet them. You ensure that product development stays on course all the way through release and post-release support.
- Strong Frontend application development skills. We use modern technologies to build our products: Typescript, React, MobX, and RxJS. We’re happy to help you learn and adapt to our stack.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or recent Boot Camp experience
- Experience with Mapping Technologies. Our products are map-based and interact deeply with road network data, so a familiarity with web mapping technology and concepts is a benefit. Some tools we use for this are Mapbox GL, Deck.GL and turf.js. We lean on OpenStreetMap and other road graph data sources, as well.
- Experience with the underlying technologies that make frontend applications work. Our applications communicate with microservice backends via gRPC, HTTP, and WebRTC, so experience with streaming data is a plus.
- 2+ years of professional experience in a software engineering field
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄