Engineering Manager, Distributed Relational Database Platform
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The MySQL Infrastructure team is building the next generation of Stripe’s online transactional data. This team is building out a highly available and resilient datastore to meet Stripe’s reliability requirements, while providing a distinct competitive advantage in engineer velocity. We will enable product teams by creating simple abstractions to hide complexities of interacting with the datastore, while also providing best in class durability, availability and security. All while minimizing the MySQL Infrastructure team’s operational toil. This team is also building tools and feedback capabilities to provide Stripe engineers with insight to help make informed decisions regarding costs, availability and performance.
What you’ll do
We are looking for a manager who is excited about data storage and leading a team to solve challenging distributed systems problems as well as develop partnerships with other Stripe engineers to establish empathy and understand their use-cases.
- Work with engineers and other leaders at Stripe to understand and capture opportunities to better leverage our database platform, providing fault isolation, resource isolation, data locality guarantees, etc
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and engage effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- You have managed teams that shipped and operated critical infrastructure, particularly in the open source, transactional database domain
- You have a strong quantitative and analytical background
- You have worked with geographically distributed teams
- You have successfully recruited and built great teams
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- You are clear and persuasive in writing and in person
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across engineering to provide a wonderful user experience
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄