Staff Software Engineer, Online Databases
Stripe (View all Jobs)
US / Canada
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe’s Online Database teams are responsible for the two real-time storage technologies used by the rest of engineering: our MongoDB document database and our MySQL transactional database. We have a few dozen infrastructure engineers within Online Databases today spread across several different teams, and you’ll work with the team, across our org, and with the product engineers who use the systems we build.
What you’ll do
As a Staff Engineer you’ll be empowered to make decisions with a significant impact on Stripe, and help guide our investments and strategy while making our systems reliable, secure, and a delight to use. We aim to make our platforms even more reliable and scalable than today, automate away the toil inherent in operating a large database server farm, and empower and educate our users. We’re close to the people using our systems and we constantly get feedback that we use to make our systems better.
- Lead technical conversations and decision making with other infrastructure and backend teams
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improving internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Anticipate and plan for the growth of Stripe’s database platform infrastructure
- Scope, design and implement robust solutions that make the appropriate tradeoffs between availability, durability, and performance
- Develop tooling and automate processes to provide a resilient and flexible platform for other engineers
- Help debug and solve critical infrastructure issues across our services and multiple levels of the stack
- Mentor and grow the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
Who you are
We’re looking for people with a strong background and demonstrated leadership in database technologies, ideally experienced with open-source relational or document database technology. Staff Engineers at Stripe are empowered to operate autonomously, and are counted on to help drive Stripe forward. Many successful engineers at Stripe and on Online Databases work remotely from both the US and Canada, and we’d be happy to talk to you about the possibility of working remote.
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 10+ years of experience in database engineering, software engineering, or systems engineering at a top tier software company
- Strong coding skills in Go, Java, or another language for building highly performant services
- Experience planning and driving large projects involving multiple stakeholders across an organization
- Practical experience with database systems like MongoDB, MySQL, Vitess, etc
- Practical experience in data platform fundamentals, including clustering, distributed systems, fault tolerance, networking, control theory, etc
- Experience in systems engineering at scale with regards to testing, reliability, security, and observability
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄