Senior Platform Enginer - Media
Mozilla (View all Jobs)
Remote US, Remote Canada, Remote Germany, Toronto Office, Berlin Office
1. Deep-dive discussions on technical and mentorship problems solved in the past. No live coding. Total of 3 rounds.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Video playback is a huge part of online life. Mozilla's media playback team is building the best possible video playback experience for the web. Are you a client-side engineer with media playback related experience who loves collaborating with smart, committed engineers passionate about the open web? Then we'd love to hear from you!
The media playback team supports everything around audio and video in Firefox, so we welcome broad experience across different platforms. The media team is responsible for maintaining open standards and features revolving around media playback, improving performance of video playback particularly for higher resolution content like 4K and 8K, improving color depth and HDR support, and for supporting playback through digital rights management.
In this role, you will:
- Be a technical leader for the team and help drive features and projects from start to completion.
- Define and drive architectural improvements for media in the Gecko Browser engine.
- Improve the video playback capabilities in the Gecko browser engine.
- Write software in C++, including tests and documentation.
- Investigate and propose solutions and architectural changes to improve performance, reliability and reduce power usage, especially on Android devices.
- Work closely with other teams within Mozilla and outside of it.
- Participate in regular code reviews.
- Be proficient in C++.
- Be familiar with video demuxing, coding, and playback concepts.
- Have strong debugging and optimization skills in a multi-threaded code.
- Have at least five years of experience as a software engineer.
It helps if you already have experience with, or are keen to learn about:
- Implementing web standards.
- Rust software development.
- Familiar with client-side graphical rendering concepts.
- Helping and mentoring junior team members.
- Working in a diverse community spanning many regions and time zones.
- Open source collaboration tools.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Req ID: R1966
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄