Lead, Survey Scientist
Civis Analytics (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home project and discussion via Skype 2. Pair programming exercise
Programming Languages Mentioned
What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future, but a totally remote option is negotiable for this role.
What we are looking for
As the Lead for Survey Science and Operations, you will join a team that includes survey scientists, data scientists, applied data scientists, and research managers. Civis works with some of the world’s most recognized brands and organizations, helping them solve their biggest challenges with research at scale. Our clients come to us for help building their message with science, tracking their brand, measuring campaign efficacy, and understanding their audiences.
The Lead for Survey Science and Operations plays a critical role in bridging teams across the company to ensure methodological excellence and efficiency in our survey work. In this position, you will manage statistical methodology, process, and delivery of surveys and work with our applied data scientists and research managers to run those processes and translate them for other clients and projects.
- Deliver expert guidance on research design and methodology; establish company-wide best practices for surveys including quotas, weighting, questionnaire design, and QC protocols.
- Set internal research agenda; manage experiments testing innovative approaches to improve survey accuracy and efficiency..
- Contribute to proposals and business development for survey-related projects.
- Build and maintain relationships with third party survey vendors, including panel providers.
- Manage implementation of consistent survey outputs and deliverables such as toplines, crosstabs, and decks.
- Work with Product and Tech teams to inform product strategy and ensure workflows and other tools are appropriately scoped to meet the needs and expectations of delivery teams.
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in social science or quantitative fields (e.g. political science, survey methodology, sociology, psychology, economics, marketing, statistics, or similar programs)
- 7+ years experience with survey questionnaire design, sampling approaches and quotas, and/or survey research outputs (e.g. raw data, topline reports, cross-tabulation tools, etc.)
- Experience working with survey applications (e.g. Qualtrics, Google Consumer Surveys, etc.)
- Experience with data analysis and data management a plus (e.g., SPSS, SQL, R)
- Demonstrated ability to manage teams and mentor staff
- Attention to detail and strong project management skills
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, and communication skills
- Experience conducting research across multiple sectors (political, commercial, non-profit)
- Experience with multi-mode survey interviewing and design
- Experience with probability and non-probability surveys
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄