Principal Electrical Engineer
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a Principal Electrical Engineer to help strengthen our technical and Electrical Engineering product development experience within the team.
In this role, you will
- Direct responsibility to ensure that the EE projects successfully address ALL of Aurora’s product requirements.
- Directly or Indirectly leads technical resources to achieve project goals.
- Ensures correctness of the HW Architecture, Design and build for the computers, peripherals, and electrical architecture
- Identifies technical innovation and value opportunities, work with external and internal partners/suppliers to develop and then qualify new technologies/solutions for use within the Aurora Driver.
- Expert in working cross-functionally to gather requirements, model, simulate or emulate critical electrical systems/functionality to define/influence performance and cost product metrics.
- Drives the build, integrate, test, and debug of these electrical systems on bench and in vehicles. Leverage SW tools, advanced test equipment like oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and network analyzers to inform design robustness.
- Work with Marketing, Operations, Mechanical, Software, and hardware platform partner teams to define and deliver high quality electrical designs to manufacturing, along with supporting test infrastructure to meet product coverage and yield goals. Requires knowledge of product development, production processes (build/test) and extensive experience bringing a design to production.
- Leads the development of critical processes to drive execution and product quality.
- Partners with Supply Chain and Manufacturing to identify and qualify suppliers, parts and processes.
- This role requires a bachelor's or master's degree with a focus in electrical or computer engineering. Preference is given to those who have broad experience spanning several disciplines in the computing/robotics domain (electrical, mechanical, and software).
- Highly developed skills in System Architecture, Signal and Power Integrity Design and Analysis, high speed signaling, grounding. Able to analyze systems at the electro-mechanical level.
- High Proficiency with design for EMI/EMC theory and practices.
- Applicants should have 15+ years of applicable professional experience with leadership responsibility as part of successful product delivery.
- Extensive experience at the HW Productization, system, board and chip level implementation.
- Deep EE fundamentals supported by the use of CAD tools, to capture schematic designs, manage PCB layout, Power/Signal simulation/emulation, and manufacturing NPI.
- Expertise with lab instruments (Oscilloscopes, Analyzers, DMMs, Power Supplies, and E-loads).
- Applied knowledge of motor vehicle systems and bus architecture.
- Experience with both rapid prototyping and design for manufacture.
- Knowledge of automotive requirements, safety framework (ISO26262) and qualification processes.
- Experience with Lidar, Radar, Optics, Computer/Networking, Security.
- Programming and Scripting (C++, Python or equivalent) experience.
- FPGA/ASIC Design experience
- Proficiency with Cadence, HFSS tool suite preferred.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄