Software Engineering Manager, Banking Services
Monzo (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Take-home, & call to discuss it 3. 2-3 hours of on-site interviews (systems/behavioural)
We’re searching for an experienced engineering manager to lead multiple teams within our Banking Services Group.
The Banking Services Group builds, owns and operates the core payments and finance services and infrastructure at Monzo. These services sit at the heart of how our customers make their money work. We enable customers to make card payments using their Hot Coral card, move money in and out of their account, make and receive scheduled payments and get access to cash across the world. On top of this, our services provide the foundation for many of the exciting and innovative features and products other Monzo teams have built, including Monzo Flex, Virtual Cards for Pots and Get Paid Early.
We are a new group within Monzo with an ambitious vision, to enable teams building financial products to move faster, in-control and reduce the operational burden of running their products. As an Engineering Manager within the group, you’ll lead a number of our payments teams. This will require you to work closely with technical leads, engineers and engineering leadership (as well as other non-engineering disciplines) to help shape strategy and roadmap for your teams, support your teams delivery activities and develop the careers of engineers within your teams.
What you’ll do:
- Lead teams of high performing software engineers
- Take accountability for technical delivery in your teams, collaborating with the technical leads.
- Actively foster a high bar for engineering excellence within the group.
- Support, coach and develop engineers in their career through regular 1:1s and continuous feedback.
- Lead on communication with stakeholders from other teams, creating focus space for engineers to do their best work.
- Collaborate with other engineering managers, and other engineering leaders to contribute to company-wide best practices and standards.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager with a track record of leading high performing, productive engineering teams - while this is not a role which requires hand-on-coding, we’re looking for an experienced manager who has a strong technical and delivery background and has worked as a software engineer in previous roles.
We recognise that engineering managers lead in different ways, we’re looking for someone who:
- Has the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both in writing and verbally.
- Is comfortable operating within ambiguous problem areas with a high degree of autonomy
- Has a focus on outcomes over processes, who optimises for the highest impact and leverage.
- Can understand, influence and challenge engineering decisions - but to empower the team to make those decisions themselves.
- Demonstrates a high degree of empathy, and a drive to create an inclusive team environment.
- Can effectively hire and structure an engineering team based on priorities and impact
- Is driven to create technical products that solves genuine customer needs
- Clearly understand what good looks like for a high-performing team of engineers and can chart a course to get there.
- Has an ability to coach people to achieve their goals.
- Knows how to inspire and motivate their teams.
We consider your application across all open EM roles at Monzo independent of which role you've applied for, so if you've recently applied to a similar role at Monzo and have been unsuccessful, please wait 6 months before applying again.
Our compensation is based on a combination of salary and equity, the base salary range for this role is between £90,000 and £140,000 depending on experience.
Our interview process is:
- A 30 min intro with a member of our recruitment team.
- A 1 hour call with someone from our senior engineering leadership team. We’ll ask you questions about your current and previous roles, as well as what a high performing team looks like for you, and how you’ve helped create them in the past.
- A 3 stage final-round interview, split between a collaboration with one of our engineers on a technical exercise, as well as management and leadership interviews.
- We may follow up with a final stage interview, to discuss any feedback before making a final decision.
At all stages we’ll create space for you to ask as many questions as you have, you’re interviewing us as well!
We support a flexible working environment, and support managers who wish to be based from our London office, or work remotely from the UK.
We're an equal opportunity employer and prize diversity as a strength. Everyone is welcome at Monzo. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.
What is engineering management like at Monzo?
Monzo is a product, engineering and design led business, with a global ambition.
We’re building a bank for and with our users. A product that’s fair, transparent and a pleasure to use. We see ourselves as something more than a typical current account: we’re setting out to solve all the problems that exist around your financial life in a coherent, meaningful and delightful way.
You’ll be working on a product that is a part of day to day life for more than five million people already, and your work here will shape the way that people interact with their finances.
Engineers and Engineering Managers at Monzo are part of cross-functional, autonomous teams and groups. Our teams are mission driven, and typically include Product Managers, backend, web and mobile engineers as well as data scientists, designers and subject matter experts relevant to that mission. Teams are organised into groups, and then collectives - we aim to keep our line management structure as shallow as possible, and for teams to directly own decision making relevant to their work.
Engineering Managers are accountable for the technical and delivery outcomes for their area - that means supporting and developing best in class engineering talent, as well as creating an inclusive team environment for people to do their best work. You’ll be responsible for structuring, organising, supporting and challenging your team to deliver on their mission.
You can read more on the expectations of Engineering Managers on our Progression Framework.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄