Manager, External Communications
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all.
The Communications team has the awesome responsibility of not only defining and positioning Aurora in the public eye, but of also being on the cutting edge of introducing self-driving vehicles to the world. We develop strategies to raise awareness, increase acceptance and drive adoption of this life-saving technology. Our job is to find creative and compelling ways to educate, inform and inspire the world of Aurora and the future of transportation.
We’re a team of intellectually curious, creative storytellers and problem solvers. We love making the complex, simple, and the abstract, resonate. You thrive working in the fast pace of a startup; you can build from scratch, think big and start small, lead projects to align with business goals, contribute to cross-functional initiatives, and will be a trusted partner to our engineering, GR, partnerships, marketing and product teams.
We shape and share Aurora’s story.
We are seeking a Communications Manager to support strategic corporate communications for Aurora’s long-term technology bets on autonomous vehicles. Joining the Communications team at Aurora, you’ll be responsible for helping to build and create high-impact PR campaigns, news moments, and launches that build Aurora’s brand and thought leadership position. You will execute proactive media campaigns and translate corporate- and product-specific content into blog posts, bylines and other written materials. Our ideal candidate is intellectually curious, people and team-oriented, and excels at writing with exacting editorial standards.
Candidates should be strategic thinkers, strong communicators, and creative problem solvers. Attention to detail, ability to remain flexible in a fast-paced environment, and organization skills are critical. The ideal candidate is passionate about the future of transportation, building companies and great teams, and of course, telling great stories.
In this role, you will
- Work with senior leadership to build strategic and creative communications plans that raise awareness and strengthen Aurora's reputation across all audiences.
- Work directly with media to help them be successful and ensure they understand Aurora’s vision and progress as a public company.
- Develop and maintain reporter relationships, pitch story ideas, and correct inaccurate reporting, when needed.
- Produce a wide range of communications materials including blog posts, contributed articles, case studies, press releases, talking points, reactive statements, and briefing materials.
- Work with a diverse set of internal stakeholders and cross-functional partners in our corporate and product functions.
- Collaborate with the broader Aurora MarComm organization to help manage projects and initiatives internally.
- Develop communications strategies and comprehensive plans for industry and technology conferences, including identifying opportunities and vetting incoming requests.
- 5 + years of Tech PR experience.
- Excellent and prolific writing and editing skills.
- Deep experience building constructive relationships with top tier reporters, editors and influencers.
- Proven experience as a trusted communications advisor to business partners and leaders.
- A “nose for news” - can develop narratives and tell them via a range of mediums: blog, social, media (from the NYT to trucking blogs and technical publications).
- Natural curiosity, tenacity and creativity, as well as a passion for storytelling.
- Ability to understand and translate technical details into easy-to-understand stories.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and adapt quickly.
- The desire to build a brand, define an industry, and have a lot of fun along the way!
- Experience in the AV space, auto, trucking, etc.
- Experience and familiarity with Google Suite, Businesswire and Meltwater applications.
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄