Staff Engineer, Issuing Platform
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Issuing is one of Stripe’s biggest bets. The right technical leadership will allow us to scale faster and more reliably as our business accelerates. If that sounds exciting, we’d love to speak with you.
What you’ll do
We’re looking for a seasoned technical leader to help architect Issuing’s future foundations. As a staff engineer on Issuing, you’ll work with engineering managers, senior engineers, and cross-functional partners to design the technical underpinnings of the product. At the same time, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to get your hands dirty building key systems and expanding our card program offerings.
- Identify long-term technical strategies across a broad range of areas, from distributed systems, to batch processing and data storage services
- Deliver critical infrastructure migrations across networks and technical stack
- Lay the groundwork to scale the technology and business of new issuing business models
- Advise Stripe leadership on key technology and product roadmap considerations
- Align our technical decisions with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives, while also advocating for needs specific to emerging new businesses
- Work with engineers across the company to understand when existing infrastructure can be leveraged vs. when building a bespoke solution is prudent
- Develop and execute against both short and long-term roadmaps, making effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Teach and mentor both individual contributors and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 15 years of engineering experience OR equivalent combined work experience reflecting domain expertise as relevant to this position
- Demonstrated experience of leading company-wide initiatives spanning multiple teams and organizations OR leveraging deep domain expertise to influence tech roadmap planning and execution
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate across multiple teams and stakeholders to drive business outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to balance execution and velocity with security, reliability, and efficiency
- Experience, mentoring, and investing in the development engineers and peers
- Experience working in the Banking industry
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄