Senior Software Engineer, Back End
Pie Insurance (View all Jobs)
1. Phone screen with recruiter 2. Technical screen in the form of a pair-programming session to debug and test existing code 3. Final round is a multi-round session that typically includes demonstrations for backend, frontend, and design skills (and they are collaborative in nature) but are not odd Leetcode style questions. There is also a cultural/behavioral fit round, but that does not involve coding/design demonstrations.
$155,000 - $210,000
Programming Languages Mentioned
C++, Java, Python, C#, C
About The Opportunity
Pie Insurance’s Technology team builds and operates a suite of applications and services that allow direct consumers, partners, and agents to manage commercial insurance policies. The team collaborates closely with our business partners to design and implement new features to help the company scale with increasing demand.
We are seeking highly motivated and accomplished Senior Back-End Engineers who encourage an environment where engineers are thought leaders and foster a culture of diversity and inclusion. Acting as leaders across the organization on design, architecture, and best practice, they elevate those around them and push the company forward.
How You’ll Do It
- You’ll operate as the go-to person for back-end related matters within our technology stack.
- You view working with product management, design, stakeholders, and your fellow engineers as a collaborative and transparent process.
- You’ll continually evolve our engineering practices and architectural designs to meet Pie’s goals in partnership with Principal Engineers and Technology leadership.
- Deliver software using continuous delivery and leverage your experience to enhance delivery pipelines.
- Continually build highly modular and reusable code using industry standards and best practices.
- You’ll mentor other engineers and be deeply involved in the code review process.
- You view on-call rotations as a normal part of your software engineering duties and are constantly looking for ways to improve operational stability and visibility.
- You'll actively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems
The Right Stuff
- 4+ years of experience writing server-side code and APIs
- Experience building large scale distributed systems, especially in cloud environments
- Deep understanding of object-oriented programming and experience with at least one object-oriented programming language (Java, Go, Python, C++, C#)
- Experience with public cloud services (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure)
- Experience with Scrum or other agile development methodologies, with attention to code quality and delivering secure code
- Experience working in a complex team environment and able to deliver under pressure
- Good knowledge of operating systems (Linux, Mac, and Windows)
- You are expected to bring in deep architecture and design knowledge, excellent engineering practices, and a capability to provide high-quality, hands-on implementation
Base compensation for position: $155,000 - $210,000
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO, including paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Unless otherwise specified, this role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄