Vehicle Platform Safety Engineer
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
Mountain View, California
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for AVehicle Platform Safety Engineer, and you will be responsible for all functional safety deliverables for integrating Aurora Driver in one of autonomy capable vehicles provided by Aurora’s automotive partners.
In this role, you will
- Lead all aspects of functional safety engagements with Aurora’s automotive partners
- Develop and maintain the Safety Plan to capture the overall safety work at the vehicle level
- Work with automotive partners to tailor safety concepts to their specific needs
- Review the technical safety concept of the vehicle platform to ensure it satisfies the functional safety concept
- Lead safety related integration and testing activities between the Aurora Driver and the autonomy capable vehicle platform
- Support the development of the safety case for autonomous vehicle
- Five or more years experience designing, developing, and validating safety critical systems per relevant safety standards (ISO 26262, IEC 61508, DO-178C, MIL-STD-882, etc)
- Experience with safety analysis techniques such as Failure mode and Effect analysis (FMEA), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and Dependent Failure Analysis (DFA).
- Understanding the safety mechanism at the vehicle level and translating them into system architecture
- Experience with systems engineering requirements management tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 10 or more years experience designing, developing, and validating safety critical systems per ISO 26262 standard
- Previous experience in overseeing and ensuring the execution of activities necessary to achieve functional safety in compliance with ISO 26262
- Experience developing functional safety concepts for autonomous vehicles
- ISO26262 Certification
- Familiarity with ISO/PAS 21448
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄