Manager, Localization and Mapping
Aurora Innovation (View all Jobs)
1. Simplified real-world coding task on Coderpad.io 2. Time-boxed take-home assignment 3. Face-to-face meeting with teammates.
Who We Are
Aurora (Nasdaq: AUR) is delivering the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. Founded in 2017 by experts in the self-driving industry, Aurora is revolutionizing transportation – making it safer, increasingly accessible, and more reliable and efficient than ever before. Its flagship product, the Aurora Driver, is a platform that brings together software, hardware, and data services, to autonomously operate passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks. Aurora is partnered with industry leaders across the transportation ecosystem including Toyota, Volvo, PACCAR, Uber, Uber Freight, FedEx, and U.S. Xpress. Aurora tests its vehicles in the Bay Area, Pittsburgh, and Texas and has offices in those areas as well as in Bozeman, MT; Seattle, WA; Louisville, CO; and Detroit, MI. To learn more, visit www.aurora.tech.
Aurora hires talented people with diverse backgrounds who are ready to help build a transportation ecosystem that will make our roads safer, get crucial goods where they need to go, and make mobility more efficient and accessible for all. We’re searching for a TLM to join Aurora’s Offboard Localization & Mapping team. The Offboard Localization team is accountable for the geometric reconstruction of the HD Maps which the Aurora Driver uses to navigate the world.
The Tech Lead Manager (TLM) role at Aurora blends technical accountability for departmental outcomes with the staff resourcing to be successful on Aurora’s biggest challenges. The TLM for Offboard Localization will use LIDAR point clouds, GNSS, IMUs, cameras, radars, and Aurora’s in-house sensors to build scalable SLAM solutions for Aurora’s most challenging environments. Some key metrics that you’ll be accountable for will include the accuracy, efficiency, scalability, and reliability of your offline mapping processes, as well as partnership in the metrics for online Localization accuracy and map usefulness by downstream teams (such as Autonomy Perception’s use of mapping representations).
In this role, you will
- Have a great deal of creative freedom to both invent new solutions and apply well-known solutions for our most impactful problems.
- Collaborate with program managers, partner teams, and Aurora Autonomy leadership team to identify problems, build technical roadmaps for addressing those challenges, and ultimately create SW solutions with your team.
- Drive and report your projects’ progress to the wider leadership team, identify and resolve roadblocks, and generally deliver successful outcomes on time. The success of the team depends on many contributing factors.
- Be expected to guide the culture of your team as you execute on Aurora’s mission. This can include items such as leading team standups, ensuring thorough team review of progress & objectives, creating written development specifications for your team, leading technical deep dives & code reviews, and performing software development and data analysis.
- Theoretical and applied expertise in areas related to robotics, SLAM, bundle adjustment, numerical optimization, computer vision, machine learning, and cloud computing.
- Demonstrated track record of success in past projects
- Deep experience in SW development
- Passion for bringing Autonomous Vehicles to production
- Experience in shipping code on a product
- Previous experience as a TLM, or strong desire to take on a new challenge as a TLM
- Masters/PhD may bring valuable experience and theoretical background
Working at Aurora
At Aurora, we bring together people with extraordinary talent and experience united by the strength of our values. We operate with integrity, set outrageous goals, and continue to build a culture where we win together—all without any jerks.
We have offices in 8+ locations across the United States. We offer a competitive benefits package to qualifying employees. Our Career Page includes everything you need to know about working at Aurora.
At the core of everything we do is our commitment to safety. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and we believe that each employee at Aurora has a role in contributing to safety, every step of the way. Aurora expects commitment to our safety policies from every employee, and seeks candidates who take an active responsibility, can contribute to building an atmosphere of trust, and invest in the organization’s long-term success by prioritizing working safely, no matter what.
We believe that self-driving technology has broad benefits – including an increase in safety and access to transportation – and to achieve those benefits, we want and need a workforce with diverse experiences, insights, and perspectives; said another way, a workforce that reflects the communities and people our technology will benefit. You can find all the latest news on our Blog
Individuals seeking employment at Aurora are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy status, parent or caregiver status, ancestry, political affiliation, veteran and/or military status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal or state law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄