Senior Software Engineer, Backend - (Remote - Austin, or U.S.)
The Zebra (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home coding challenge 2. In-person review and pair programming.
Programming Languages Mentioned
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We intentionally strive to build diverse teams that feel inclusive for all. Our motto is "All Stripes Welcome," and we put that into practice by valuing both traditional and non-conventional backgrounds and perspectives. Our Zeebs are passionate about learning, growing, & working together to tackle exciting problems.
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our herd! We are looking for people flexible enough to contribute across our product, primarily in the back-end parts of our codebase. This could include expanding into new lines of insurance, continuing to build on our comparison experience across existing insurance lines, supporting new and existing integrations, or supporting our content and marketing efforts to drive traffic to our site and build The Zebra as a known insurance brand. You will need to be comfortable working both on experimental, rapid-prototyping projects and building long-term sustainable, scalable solutions. Our software engineers play a vital role in taking projects from spec to concept and building them with high-quality, creative, simple, and sophisticated solutions.
While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of establishing our company to support work in all states! We’ve recently made the shift from an in-office organization to a hybrid model and love the flexibility it allows our employees. We are set up to support employees who want to be fully remote, in-office only, and a mix of the two. Please note - we will not be supporting work based out of the following states: CA, MA, NY, NJ.
What You'll Do:
- Assist in the design, implementation, and maintenance of The Zebra comparison product and other products using Python, Django, GraphQL, ReactJS, NodeJS, and other modern technologies
- Deliver focused, maintainable, and performant code across different areas of our business, from adding new functionality to existing cloud-hosted microservices to creating new features supporting growth into new insurance lines
- Work closely with other engineers, designers, and engineering leadership to rapidly build, iterate, test, and deploy new features and products and maintain a high-quality robust codebase
- Improve and scale the existing products and tools to support our growth
- Act as a technical leader for the team and grow other engineers through example and mentorship
What We're Looking For:
As we evaluate candidates across all roles, we look for folks who have a strong sense of ownership, great communication and collaboration skills, and a dedication to continuous improvement.
- 5-7+ years (or equivalent) of professional programming experience
- Strong understanding of and experience with one of the following: Python, Ruby, Java, C++, C#, or Go (Python being the preferred language of choice)
- Strong experience with relational and/or NoSQL databases
- Experience with internal and external APIs (within B2B applications)
- Exceptional and proven web development experience
- Experience with source code control systems
- Eager to take ownership of work, including collaboration with collaborators and developers through the product development lifecycle
- Track record of delivering quality code in a timely fashion, understanding where to draw the line between good and flawless
Experience that will Impress the Heck Out of Us:
- Experiencing coaching and mentoring more junior engineers
- Experience working in consumer-facing web products, growth-phase startups, and/or using A/B testing and data to drive product decisions
- Experience with SEO technologies
Benefits & Perks:
Inclusive and healthy environments are crafted intentionally. All of our employees can join and participate in (or create your own!) Employee Resource Groups. Here are some other wonderful perks of working here:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k plan + employer match
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off)+ the flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Join a team that truly lives their values (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the nation’s leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 -- it's “insurance in black and white.”
We've garnered attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists. Check out all of our awards & recognition!
Our core mantra is "All Stripes Welcome." As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, we provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform core job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄