Data Scientist, Financial Risk
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Python, SQL, R
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
We’re working on making the global financial system programmable. This is one of the largest opportunities for impact in the history of computing, on par with the rise of modern operating systems. The Risk team plays a critical role in the company’s financial health, by enabling the realization of this opportunity while simultaneously controlling risk.
What you’ll do
- Partner closely with Risk, Treasury and Finance to create quantitative models and frameworks to manage Stripe market risks, e.g. FX, rates and credit.
- Model the impact of market movements and the macroeconomic environment on Stripe’s payments, lending and capital businesses.
- Plan and execute with partner teams the systematic integration of risk calculations with business revenue calculations to drive pricing and strategy
- Build statistical, data science or machine learning models to analyze Stripe liquidity and financial time series. Develop methodologies to measure financial risks and forecast financial performance
- Develop optimization strategies to leverage risk exposures to maximize the efficiency of Stripe liquidity and capital
- Create metrics and reporting tools for Risk, Finance and senior leaders to leverage the quantitative analysis.
- Effectively communicate the outcomes of your analysis to key stakeholders
Who you are
We’re looking for an experienced quantitative financial engineer or financial computer scientist to partner with Risk and Finance to develop the quantitative risk systems that will optimize Stripe risk taking and risk management. If you are creative, love to extract valuable insights from data and are driven by optimizing financial results, we want to hear from you.
- 5-10 years experience implementing financial calculations for the commercial management of market, liquidity or capital risks
- A PhD or MS in a quantitative field (e.g., Financial Engineering, Financial Mathematics, Operations Research, Economics, Statistics, Physical Sciences or Applied Math)
- Expert knowledge of a scientific computing language (Python or R) and SQL
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience deploying quantitative financial calculations. Experience with linear-optimization, machine learning or data science experimentation is a plus
- Experience in working with multiple cross-functional teams to deliver results
- The ability to communicate results clearly
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄