Senior UI Software Engineer
RStudio (View all Jobs)
USA - Remote
1. Video calls with recruiter then engineering management 2. Take home project 3. Video call for code review with engineering lead
Programming Languages Mentioned
RStudio creates software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open-source data science toolchain used by millions worldwide, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means. We’re a Certified B Corporation®, which means we’ve written our open-source mission into our corporate charter.
To be impactful, data scientists’ results must be accessible. RStudio Connect provides a way to effortlessly share data science analyses and insights across entire organizations in a way that is secure, reproducible, and scalable. RStudio Connect is a standalone publishing platform used by thousands of enterprise customers around the world.
About the Role
We are seeking a UI Software Engineer to join the RStudio Connect product team. Specifically, the sub-team that focuses on Content Engagement. You will help users find what they are looking for faster and make it easier to discover new favorites. This is the team that also shepherds our UI controls and frameworks making the development effort of other Connect engineering teams simpler.
Things you’ll own:
- Driving technical decisions for subsections of the product. Take ownership of some part of the product and become an expert over time.
- Understanding our customers and focusing our roadmap on their needs. Your experience with web applications gives you insight into the expectations of users in a modern web environment. You’ll use that knowledge to advocate for their needs and design features for their use cases alongside product management and design.
- Encouraging the adoption of best practices and mentoring other engineers. Front-end technology moves quickly, and we need an experienced advocate for when to move into new technologies and when to wait for the dust to settle. Additionally, you should help to mentor other engineers who are growing their careers in front-end development.
Things you’ll help with:
- Figuring out what we should build, not just how to build it
- Collaborating with the product manager and other engineering teams
- Evaluating new libraries and patterns to improve the functionality, maintainability, and performance of our web app
- Working with the support and solutions engineering teams to debug and resolve customer issues; consider how to improve the product based on what you find
Things you’ll teach the team:
- Share best-practices around reactive frontend architectures: state management, component hierarchies, routing, and more.
- Your own personal areas of interest and expertise, based on your unique experiences and career history
- Help create a collaborative and psychologically safe environment for team members. Model humility and compassion for others.
- Guide the team in balancing the needs of stable, mission-critical parts of the UI with the desire to be able to experiment and prototype elsewhere.
- Demonstrate how to scale the codebase without compromising on maintainability, usability, and performance using techniques like code splitting or strategically handling expensive requests.
Things you’ll learn:
- How data science teams from tiny to huge work and deliver value in their own companies
- Deep expertise in Vue. You’ll be asked to get intimately familiar with the nuances of Vue so that you can help engineers understand the performance and maintainability implications of various different architectures.
- Develop familiarity with our backend APIs written in Go. Initially, we can pair you with other engineers but over time we’d love for you to become comfortable making changes to backend APIs.
- Practical data science using R and Python – with the opportunity and resources for mastery
Within one month, you will…
- Meet the team and our partners in the product and engineering groups
- Learn about our development practices and release cycle
- Deliver your first contribution to the product
Within three months, you will…
- See your code changes reflected in our current product version
- Participate in feature planning and provide feedback
- Fully understand the structure and internal components of the product
Within six months, you will...
- Interact with several customers through support and discovery
- Identify and advocate for new features or technical goals
- Begin focusing on one or more areas of the product that align with your own interests and ambitions
Within a year, you will…
- Significantly influence the strategic direction of the product and its architecture
- Make multiple large contributions to the code, our tooling, or best practices
- Plan and deliver a project that requires cross-team collaboration and coordination
What you bring:
- Experience designing and building new product features, expanding large systems, and an eye for good UX.impr
- 7+ years developing, testing, shipping, and maintaining software in production.
- A genuine interest in the success and growth of the people you work with.
What you won’t need on day 1:
Experience in data science is not required to join the Connect engineering team. Along the way, we expect that you’ll develop an understanding of the domain. By spending some time with data science tools, you will build better products to serve our users. We offer many opportunities to learn and explore the field.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- RStudio’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Seattle or Boston offices.
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- $1000 home office allowance plus an additional $800 for equipment
- Up to $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄