Backend / API Engineer, User Billing
Stripe (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, Seattle, NYC, Canada, remote
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The User Billing team owns an unusual mix of platform, infrastructure, and product problems. We are looking for people with a strong background or interest in working across these domains to build successful platforms and systems. You’re comfortable dealing with many moving pieces, you work effectively across teams and functions, and you have exquisite attention to detail. You’re looking forward to learning new technologies, systems, and problem domains. If this resonates with you, do apply!
What you’ll do
As a backend engineer, you will design and build platforms, tooling, and system solutions that are configurable and scalable around the globe. You will partner with many functions at Stripe, with the opportunity to both work on infrastructure/platform systems, as well as produce direct user-facing business impact.
- Design, build, and maintain large-scale production services, data pipelines, and streaming systems
- Work on systems critical to Stripe’s current and future operation, with responsibility for billions of dollars of payments volume
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the company including engineering, product, operations, finance, data science, accounting, sales, and operations.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Have delivered, extended, and maintained large scale distributed systems.
- Love to design systems that are elegant abstractions over complex patterns/practices, especially in the financial industry.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Think about systems, services, and platforms, and write high quality code. We work mostly in Java, Scala, and Ruby. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in).
You’re not expected to have expertise across all of these areas! We have wonderful team members who focus on our customers’ needs and build amazing user experiences, and didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄