Artsy (View all Jobs)
New York City
1. Informal chat 2. Application 3. Phone screen 4. In-person interview with 1 lead, 2 individual contributors and 1 non-engineer (30-45 mins each), focusing on your work habits and expertise as demonstrated in your previous work 5. ~4 in-depth professional reference calls (30-45 mins each).
Programming Languages Mentioned
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
We are looking for a mobile engineer to join the Grow team, where we strive to establish a strong first impression of the Artsy experience to drive new user growth, early retention, and foster long-lasting relationships with collectors.
As a member of our Grow team, you will work on the Artsy mobile ecosystem to build a series of experimental onboarding experiences for our users and help us collect the data necessary to improve upon them. Your work will directly impact our users’ first impressions of the Artsy marketplace and, in some cases, the art industry. As such, you will have the exciting opportunity to contribute to the expansion and democratization of the art market around the world.
At Artsy, Engineers work closely with our Product, Data, and Design teams to create a world-class user experience that allows our growing community to discover, buy, and enjoy art. You’ll be joining an engineering team that is building the world's largest marketplace for art. Our team believes in open source by default, invests in psychological safety, and in constantly improving our tools and processes. The Artsy Engineering team is centered around learning and knowledge sharing, in addition to both personal and team development.
Our mobile engineering team primarily works in React Native that interacts with all mobile native frameworks. Our entire engineering organization relies on TypeScript, GraphQL, React, Relay, Storybooks, Yarn, Jest, and Visual Studio Code.
What You’ll Do:
- Build and maintain the mobile user experiences that introduce Artsy to new art collectors.
- Write clean, testable code with an attention to performance and scalability
- Advocate for best coding practices within a large, heterogeneous team
- Collaborate with teammates through knowledge shares, pair programming, and an open feedback loop
- Participate in the Grow team’s process and ceremonies
- Contribute to the engineering culture at Artsy and the rest of the industry via our open source community, our blogging platform, and our podcast
Who You Are:
We welcome you to apply regardless of “checking all the boxes” below, and are excited to hear what you can bring to the team.
- This role will be based in New York or US Remote and is remote friendly as long as you agree to work Eastern Standard Time
- You have experience building and maintaining mobile iOS and Android applications, releasing them to the app store, and adapting them to new OS releases
- You have experience working in React Native and building for different native frameworks
- You understand authentication and authorization workflows along with how to interact with third-party APIs and libraries
- You have experience contributing to the development of large design systems and you are comfortable discussing choices and trade offs around architecture, performance, scalability, and data-modeling
- You can work both independently and collaboratively with a distributed team
- You enjoy learning with others and you are able to laugh at yourself
Additionally, we encourage that you:
- Understand and uphold our key values of “owning our outcomes” and “impact over perfection”
- Hold strong opinions, loosely held: you will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feel strong resonance with our engineering principles.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: we empower Artsy employees to take time off based on their desires and needs that matter most to them
- We are a distributed-first company where employees have the flexibility to work from home. Offices are available for employees in New York, London, and Berlin. (In-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Comprehensive healthcare & benefit options, including: medical, dental, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program featuring free mental health support, 401k, commuter benefits, flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), financial wellness support & resources, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
About Artsy Engineering:
Artsy's engineering principles are open source. We encourage knowledge building and sharing within the larger tech community through open source software, blog posts, and other free resources. Artsy would rather proudly discover (and improve) an existing tool than build it ourselves from scratch. Through our work, we try to create more value than we capture. That means that when we learn something new, we try to share that knowledge through blog posts and open source documentation. A successful candidate will bring their own unique perspective to help us achieve this mission.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄