Risk & Controls Manager, Various Squads
Monzo (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Take-home, & call to discuss it 3. 2-3 hours of on-site interviews (systems/behavioural)
We have a range of opportunities to work within the 1st line Risk & Control Discipline at Monzo.
Monzo is an exciting combination of a bank and tech start-up, started from scratch in February 2015 with the aim of making money work for everyone. We’re focused on solving our customers' problems, making their financial lives simpler, and giving them complete control from their smartphones.
As a Risk & Control Manager, you will use your passion for risk and control to support an environment where teams build at pace and in control. You’ll do this by helping the Discipline successfully roll out and embed our risk management framework across the 1st line.
The Risk & Control discipline aligns to business areas (“collectives”) across the company. Teams across the first line in Monzo seek our guidance on how to ensure we are compliant with regulations and foster a culture of risk-based decisions and careful controls that distinguish us in both banking and technology. Across all of the business areas you support, you will lead the way in real-time risk management by ensuring key risk indicators are well-defined and understood, incidents are managed, MI and reporting packs are created, and risk & control assessments are completed. Additionally, you will be undertaking control testing throughout the year and ensuring gaps are identified and remediated in a timely manner.
You’ll spend your time:
- Executing design and operating effectiveness control tests to ensure that we have full picture of the effectiveness of the control landscape across Monzo;
- Making recommendations to improve control effectiveness and/or identify where new controls are required;
- Managing and reporting risks, controls, issues, incidents and the associated remediations actions;
- Using your risk management knowledge to support teams in developing new processes, controls and features by embedding good regulatory and risk practices;
- Ensuring awareness of all of the governance related initiatives (issues, incidents & actions) and regulatory or audit deadlines to make sure we don’t miss anything;
- Leading risk assessments (RCSA) in the 1st line to then identify and monitor completion of risk-mitigating actions to address the root causes, which persistently lead to operational risk losses by challenging both historical and proposed practices;
- Ensuring we comply with our policies and help define them where necessary;
- Acting as a key stakeholder managing & fostering positive relationships across the three lines of defence on any deficiencies or control gaps across Monzo as needed and
- Innovating and finding new ways to build effective governance and risk management processes;
You should apply if:
- You have worked in a UK banking, professional services or fintech industry firm with experience in risk, controls or compliance related roles;
- Audit Management, Control Testing and Issue & Action management experience is preferred for this role;
- You are a team player and collaborate well with other people;
- You are a master communicator, able to facilitate discussions, and influence others to gather meaningful feedback and support on your work;
- You have a good understanding of industry risk standards and practices;
- You have experience in technology and/or cyber risk management;
- You have experience managing multiple deadlines through to completion and have excellent attention to detail;
- Are excited about helping Monzo scale in a compliant, thoughtful and controlled way;
- You’re resilient and comfortable working in a fast paced and ambiguous environment where the day to day job is constantly evolving and changing;
- You are hands-on and great at execution;
- You are able to meet people where they are at and be the a bridge between internal teams and represent Monzo before auditors, regulators and our board and
- You are a self-starter and autonomous, able to make prioritisation decisions
Above all, we are looking for people that are excited by what we are doing at Monzo.
- If you want to register your interest in the Risk & Controls roles we have working across various spaces in Monzo, such as Borrowing, Payments, and Shared Services, please answer the application questions below.
- These roles can be based in our London office (hybrid for now) or remote within the UK as long as you're comfortable travelling to London when required
- We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
The application process consists of a 30 mins phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by 2 x 45 minute interviews via hangouts. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄