Backend / API Engineer, Account Abstractions and APIs
Stripe (View all Jobs)
Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Toronto, Remote (Canada and US)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Accounts Abstractions and APIs team owns the foundational models and data primitives representing real-world organizations and business models. We’re looking for thoughtful, creative, and rigorous engineers to join a growing, high-impact team. This is an exciting opportunity to shape the future of reliable, massively scalable APIs at the heart of Stripe’s platform. We hope you’ll join us.
What you’ll do
- Scope, design, and implement high-performance APIs and services
- Hide complexity from our users behind simple yet powerful abstractions
- Collaborate with engineers and product managers to deliver robust and comprehensive interfaces to core account and financial primitives
- Influence the technical direction of Stripe’s next generation platform of distributed services
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps
- Make thoughtful trade-offs that consider business priorities, user needs, and a sustainable technical foundation
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 5+ years experience in backend engineering
- A user-first mindset in everything they build
- An orientation towards impact — on their own team, throughout Stripe, and across the world
- A high standard, for themself and others, when working with production systems
- Open communication skills — ask questions, assume good intentions, and default to transparency
- The desire to proactively seek feedback from users, teammates, and subject matter experts
- Rigor and empathy that help them thrive in a collaborative and high-performance environment
- A love for helping those around them grow and learn — and a love for working with those who do the same
- Creativity when thinking about the big things and understanding of the nuance of the small ones
- Pride in owning projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- The tools to build holistically; from specs and documentation to implementation, testing, deployment, and measuring impact
- The ability to balance speed, complexity, and scope in service of user needs
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄