Senior Software Engineer, Frontend
Artsy (View all Jobs)
1. Informal chat 2. Application 3. Phone screen 4. In-person interview with 1 lead, 2 individual contributors and 1 non-engineer (30-45 mins each), focusing on your work habits and expertise as demonstrated in your previous work 5. ~4 in-depth professional reference calls (30-45 mins each).
Programming Languages Mentioned
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
We’re looking for a Frontend focused Senior Software Engineer, to join our Core Marketplace group. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about beautiful code and inspiring products, and who wants to build something that our users – who are equally passionate about art – love, trust, and rely on. Your work will help Artsy’s mission to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.
Artsy’s Core Marketplace group is responsible for the marketplace experience of both our partners and our collectors. We give partners the knowledge and tools to succeed on Artsy’s platform. We provide collectors with a seamless artwork evaluation and negotiation experience, leading to a smooth checkout for everyone around the world.
At Artsy, Engineers work closely with our Product, Data, and Design teams to create a world-class user experience that allows our growing community to discover, buy, and enjoy art. You’ll be joining an engineering team that is building the world's largest marketplace for art. Our team believes in open source by default, invests in psychological safety, and in constantly improving our tools and processes. The Artsy Engineering team is centered around learning and knowledge sharing, in addition to both personal and team development.
What You’ll Do:
- Build the applications used by the collectors, galleries, and auction houses that make up the world’s largest online art marketplace.
- Build user experiences with our frontend stack, which includes React, React Native, TypeScript, Relay and Jest.
- Employ Artsy's open-source design system and well-maintained tools to create complex interfaces that users love.
- Write clean, testable, readable and maintainable code that scales and performs.
- Advocate for best practices and coding standards within a large, heterogeneous team..
- Multiply your impact by sharing what you have learned via team presentations, blog posts, pair programming, and other avenues.
- Interface with the open source ecosystem by contributing to Artsy's own or community-supported projects.
Who You Are:
We welcome you to apply regardless of “checking all the boxes” below, and are excited to hear what you can bring to the team.
- This role will be based in NYC or US Remote (happy to work on EST time).
- You bring approx 4-6 years of professional experience in software engineering
- Experience building responsive and modern user interfaces, preferably with TypeScript and React.
- Experience being an integral part of the development of large systems; engaging in decision-making and tradeoff evaluation during the development of those systems.
- Understanding of decisions and trade-offs around architecture, performance, scalability, and data-modeling.
- Can work both independently and collaboratively within a dynamic engineering org to initiate and promote best-practices across the team.
Additionally, you should:
- Understand and uphold our key value of “impact over perfection”
- Hold strong opinions, loosely held: you will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feel strong resonance with our engineering principles.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: we empower Artsy employees to take time off based on their desires and needs that matter most to them
- We are a distributed-first company where employees have the flexibility to work from home. Offices are available for employees in New York, London, and Berlin. (In-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Comprehensive healthcare & benefit options, including: medical, dental, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program featuring free mental health support, 401k, commuter benefits, flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), financial wellness support & resources, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
About Artsy Engineering:
Artsy's engineering principles are open source. We encourage knowledge building and sharing within the larger tech community through open source software, blog posts, and other free resources. Artsy would rather proudly discover (and improve) an existing tool than build it ourselves from scratch. Through our work, we try to create more value than we capture. That means that when we learn something new, we try to share that knowledge through blog posts and open source documentation. A successful candidate will bring their own unique perspective to help us achieve this mission.
Artsy has five core values that will inform your experience at Artsy.
For the Love of Art: We have relentless curiosity, empathy, and passion for collectors, artists, and the art market. We are here to make the art world more fair and welcoming.
Own Our Outcomes: We are all individual owners of Artsy’s shared success. We are resourceful and resilient, and to get the job done, we each take responsibility for our outcomes.
Lead with Openness: We trust in our teammates. We seek diverse perspectives, communicate authentically, and act with integrity. A more open art world starts with us.
Transform Together: Our mission asks us to challenge the status quo. We embrace feedback, learning, and change so that we can transform our industry, our company, and ourselves.
Impact Over Perfection: Using both art and science, we debate and decide swiftly and iterate on our plans as we learn. To make the biggest impact, we prioritize speed and clarity of action over perfection.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄