Manager, Data Platform Engineering
Omada Health (View all Jobs)
1. Take home exercise and/or pair programming session.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Ruby, SQL, Python
Omada Health is on a mission to inspire and engage people in lifelong health, one step at a time.
Our program supports people in making lifestyle changes to improve their health, and ultimately, their lives. We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to help us with our mission by managing and growing our Data Engineering team. As an engineering manager at Omada, you will be managing engineers and delivering the world-class data platform in the collection and conversion of rich behavioral health inputs and their translation into data products that enable evidence-based decisions for cross functional teams.
Our Data Engineering team is responsible for design and development of our data platform including building scalable and reliable data processing pipelines and near real-time as well as offline data serving capabilities.
As a key member of our team, you will help lead design, build, and scale our robust data pipelines, data warehouse, and machine learning infrastructure. You should be motivated to learn new technologies and be ready to drive technical work.
The team works very closely with the Data architects, Data Analytics team, Data Science team and other product and engineering teams to understand their data requirements. Our goal is to build systems and platform features to meet and exceed those needs. You will have freedom to innovate as you work closely with our partners to see the big picture, and figure out innovative ways to deliver the results. The best person will be a person with exceptional leadership skills with hands-on experience in Data Engineering.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other leads to best results. We use sustainable engineering practices: we work together, value mindful collaboration and test-driven development as much as possible, and shipping.
You work with empathy for your coworkers, stakeholders and users. You are excited to work cross-functionally with a variety of people, ideas, and levels of experience. You work directly with stakeholders to design solutions and drive the technical decisions for delivery. You are motivated to learn new technologies, ready to drive technical work, and can guide other team members in their technical growth. You care about writing quality software and recognize that there are often many right answers. You are excited about the challenge of learning new technologies and context. You are enthusiastic about providing the best possible care for our members.
Manage the development of Omada’s data platform
- You will create a plan to build and scale our core data infrastructure so business teams can leverage health behavior data effectively to meet their goals.
- You will guide a team of Data Engineers to execute against that plan, owning the team’s technical strategy and roadmap.
Grow and manage a high-performance Data Engineering team
- You’ll partner with our recruiting team to hire the best talent.
- You’ll mentor and guide the professional and technical development of team members.
- You will establish the processes needed to achieve operational excellence in critical areas, including SLA management, systems reliability, and developer productivity.
- Lead team of engineers to architect, build, launch and maintain features and applications to help positively impact health outcomes and happiness of our members.
- Create and maintain tools that empower our internal operations teams in outreaching to prospective members, accepting new members, and accounting for their success.
- Solve and own technical problems over a wide array of systems, processes and technologies. Partner with cross functional stakeholders to solve problems across the full product lifecycle.
- You will establish and own key performance metrics in close collaboration with Engineering and Product leadership.
- You’ll build cross-functional relationships with Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Product Managers and Software Engineers to understand data needs and deliver on those needs.
Drive pan-engineering initiatives as an Engineering leader
- You will work with the Engineering Leadership team to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes across the entire engineering team, including data quality and system observability.
- You’ll work with Engineering and Product managers to continuously reduce tech debt and make improvements in our systems.
- Work in an agile, TDD, pair programming, continuous delivery environment
- Mentor, train and collaborate with teammates in how to write great code and solve problems effectively.
- Research, adopt and advocate for new technologies.
- Proactively seek out complexity in code or process and propose solutions to work towards simplicity, efficiency, and reliability.
- Work with the engineering managers to develop and focus the roadmap, prioritize, and find balance between new initiatives and improving our platform.
You will love this job if you:
- 5+ years of industry experience in building data infrastructure, frameworks and automation
- 1+ years of experience in managing engineering teams with development experience
- Strong awareness of the various technologies and tools in the data infrastructure space
- Communication and leadership skills, with the ability to initiate and drive projects proactively
- Solid project management skills
- Solid understanding of computer science and software engineering fundamentals
- Motivation to participate in ongoing learning and growth through pair programming, code reviews, application of new technologies and best practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, intellectual curiosity, positive attitude, and a desire to influence the products being built
- Love of mentorship and experience developing people and teams through coaching, mentoring, and feedback
- Development experience in SQL, Proficiency with relational databases and SQL queries (PostgreSQL preferred)
- Fundamental understanding of database schema design and data warehouse principles
- Development experience in at least one scripting language (Python preferred)
- Familiarity with workflow management tools such as Airflow or Luigi and/or experience building robust production grade data pipelines
- Experience in Agile development process
- Experience in distributed data technologies
- Experience in Cloud technologies, preferably in AWS or GCP
- Experience with streaming technologies and concepts used with data warehouses Familiarity with distributed data processing or with building streaming based data pipelines (Kafka preferred)
- Familiarity with supporting AI / ML in a production environment
- Familiarity with Kafka, AWS Redshift, Lambda, Tensorflow etc.
Technologies used on the Data Engineering Team: AWS Cloud, AWS Redshift, Postgres, Python, Ruby, Airflow, Kafka, SQL, Lambda, Serverless, Linux, Gitlab, Git, Docker, Nomad, Kubernetes, EC2, S3, SNS, SQS, Tensorflow, Jupyter Notebook & Tableau
Bonus points for:
- Development experience in Healthcare industry
- Familiarity with Data Governance & regulatory compliance
- Experience working with sensitive data i.e. PHI / PII & security best practices and/or implementing Encryption, Role Based Security etc.
- Familiarity with microservices development.
- Experience with containerization and orchestration (Docker, Nomad)
- Experience in taking machine learning models from development to production
- Competitive salary with generous annual cash bonus
- Stock options
- Remote first work from home culture
- Flexible vacation to help you rest, recharge, and connect with loved ones
- Generous parental leave
- Health, dental, and vision insurance (and above market employer contributions)
- 401k retirement savings plan
- Work from Home stipend
- Monthly mental wellness days
- Two giftable Omada enrollments per calendar year
- ...and more!
It takes a village to change health care. As we build together toward our mission, we strive to embody the following values in our day-to-day work. We hope these hold meaning for you as well as you consider Omada!
- Start with Trust. We listen closely and we operate with kindness. We provide respectful and candid feedback to each other.
- Seek Context. We ask to understand and we build connections. We do our research up front to move faster down the road.
- Act Boldly. We innovate daily to solve problems, improve processes, and find new opportunities for our members and customers.
- Deliver Results. We reward impact above output. We set a high bar, we’re not afraid to fail, and we take pride in our work.
- Succeed Together. We prioritize Omada’s progress above team or individual. We have fun as we get stuff done, and we celebrate together.
- Remember Why We’re Here. We push through the challenges of changing health care because we know the destination is worth it.
About Omada Health: Omada Health delivers integrated, virtual care across chronic conditions, a top clinical need for employers and health plans. By combining clinical best practices with the science of behavior change, Omada Health improves member health and reduces the cost of care. Working with over 1,700+ customers — including health plans, health systems, and employers ranging in size from small businesses to Fortune 500s across a wide variety of industries — Omada delivers personalized interventions for diabetes, diabetes prevention, hypertension, and musculoskeletal issues. All programs include integrated behavioral health support. Omada Health’s virtual care programs are clinically supported and evidence-based, with results published in multiple peer-reviewed journals. To learn more, visit www.omadahealth.com.
We carefully hire the best talent we can find, which means actively seeking diversity of beliefs, backgrounds, education, and ways of thinking. We strive to build an inclusive culture where differences are celebrated and leveraged to inform better design and business decisions. Omada is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, family care status, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal laws.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄