Senior Security Operations Engineer
NerdWallet (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
1. Code review phone screen 2. On-site project to build a functioning app with interviewee's platform of choice
NerdWallet’s business is built on trust. Our customers trust us with highly sensitive personal information including SSNs, bank account numbers, etc. Not only do we take it seriously to securely protect our customer’s data, we go above and beyond to make security a business differentiator. We keep an eye on what’s happening inside NerdWallet, and in the world to be on the lookout for threats that may impact our consumers and the company; and we take steps to protect them. We work with engineering to build tooling and processes that lead to secure systems, with minimal impact to performance and productivity.
Where you can make an impact:
- Put your Security Operations experience to use to help us operationalize our security controls
- Partner with AppSec and InfraSec teams to own the operational aspects of our vulnerability management program
- Work with our cross functional teams in engineering and IT to improve Nerdwallet's Incident management process
- Work with our Product and Program managers to prioritize vulnerability and incident derived work
- Work with the Security team to develop an external looking threat modeling program
- Provide security insights by tracking and reporting key operational security metrics
- Knowledgeable regarding operationalizing security controls
- Experienced in running and improving vulnerability management programs
- Experienced in implementation and operation of a security incident response program
- Self driven, motivated, and looking for new challenges to develop your career
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- Experience with managing a fully functional vulnerability management program
- 4+ years of experience in security operations space
- Knowledge of setting up an external looking threat modeling program
- Experience in growing a SecOps program
- Working knowledge of modern cloud security operations is a plus
- Any experience with Endpoint security is a plus
- Experience working in a Scrum environment is a plus
- Experience in working in a Single Threaded Team environment is a plus
- 2+ years of experience in another domain of security IE InfraSec, AppSec or ProdSec is a plus
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄