Staff Software Engineer (NLP)
Textio (View all Jobs)
1. Initial screen to discuss experience and interest in a role at Textio 2. Take-home programming task is discussed during a 1-hour tech screen (on-site or remote) 3. Finally a larger take-home project, simulating real work, is discussed during an on-site presentation plus 1-1s; How we hire
$175,000 - $257,000.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Note: We support 100% remote work for applicants who reside in the following states: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.
Textio's mission is to build software that interrupts bias in communication and creates inclusive understanding between people. Our category-defining augmented writing products offer real-time language guidance to help our users consistently communicate inclusively and effectively.
Do you want to create and expand upon the bias-interrupting language guidance that's at the core of Textio? The Language Products team is made up of Natural Language Processing engineers who build language features that not only promote inclusion, but also create a phenomenal user experience. We're seeking a new teammate who will bring experience, skills, and perspectives that complement and strengthen our own.
You will be joining a welcoming and collaborative Guidance and Data organization at a company with language and data at its heart. Textio's augmented writing blends lexical semantic analysis, information extraction, information retrieval, document modeling, and predictive modeling. Come help us create the next generation of impactful and inclusive writing guidance!
What you'll do at Textio:
- Lead and collaborate with engineers applying NLP and machine learning algorithms to create compelling user experiences (using Python, spaCy, AWS, etc.)
- Apply your broad base of knowledge to prototype solutions to difficult linguistic and user experience problems; then, implement the most promising solutions in production
- Bring an experienced perspective on model design patterns: explain the trade-offs of linguistic sophistication, runtime performance, ease of deployment, and maintenance
- Bring a strong ethical orientation to your analysis of linguistic behaviors
- Mentor language engineers earlier in their careers
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Experienced in building, deploying, and maintaining NLP and ML services at scale
- Have worked on products where experimentation and data science are core to development
- Are comfortable with a broad range of technological approaches and understand that the best product experiences come from blending approaches in machine learning, NLP, and linguistics
- Have proven experience mapping ambiguous problems into clear plans that enable collaborators to take concrete steps alongside you
- Have a proven track record of mentorship and technical leadership and enjoy empowering others and investing time in the growth of your colleagues
- Keep quality, performance, security, and ethics in mind for any proposed solution
- Are comfortable communicating your point of view but are low ego
We are looking to build a truly diverse, equitable, and inclusive engineering team. We have outstanding benefits to support that.
- We are a fully distributed team. Without a central office, everyone's on an equal footing wherever you're based. Our positions are open to residents of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.
- We offer flexible schedules and unlimited time off. We’re about long-term growth and success, so that means working sustainably.
- We provide outstanding health care, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
- Paid time to volunteer at non-profits. If you volunteer enough, we'll match your hours with donations.
- On demand mentoring with Bravely.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $175,000 - $257,000. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. We will provide more information on our benefits and equity upon request. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for >Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Textio embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Textio will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you require accommodation please contact Josh Potter at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 492-8337 ext. 785.
Working at Textio is outstanding. Learn more about our philosophy, benefits, and team at https://textio.com/careers/. Reach out and share your story with us!
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄