Manager, Developer Relations and Docs
Algolia (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home project 2. Onsite discussions and presentation
Programming Languages Mentioned
Algolia is a fast growing company that helps users deliver an intuitive search-as-you-type experience on their websites and mobile apps. We provide a search API used by thousands of customers in more than 100 countries. Today, Algolia powers 1.5 Trillion searches a year – that’s 4 times more than Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, Baidu and Yandex combined!
The Developer Ecosystem & Experience team aims to help Algolia’s developer ecosystem and community grow. To achieve that, we are building a powerful & flexible platform empowering self-serve developers of all types to get started, learn and build with Algolia’s API and developer tools.
We have ambitious goals ahead of us, and in that context we are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to build out a new global team and help us scale our Developer Ecosystem & Experience Platforms, which are critical to our Product-led growth business. You will work on platforms such as the Code Exchange, Command Line Interface and Documentation platform. We expect you to bring significant experience acquired from a similar role in a former job. Not only will you lead projects in complete autonomy, you will also be accountable for planning ahead, and thinking in terms of what’s best globally for the company rather than locally for your projects. This also means you are expected to ramp up on multiple projects, and orchestrate changes across projects and teams whenever necessary. As a Sr. Engineering Manager, you are also expected to be a technical leader, sharing your knowledge, helping engineers grow.
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Help the team plan, execute and ship releases respecting timelines and high-quality development, working closely with the product and leadership teams
- Coach and mentor engineers to excel at their work and grow
- Hire and onboard engineers to build a diverse and excellent team
- Lead by example, coding alongside your team when necessary
- Be a culture advocate within the company living by our core values
- Continuously work on our Engineering Brand, producing content, attending events, leading some talks and being creative
- Implement process as needed like weekly syncs, team & handbooks
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Deep interest in people and mentoring
- At least 10 years of software development experience
- Successful team management or lead experience
- A passion for shipping quality code
- Excellent oral and written communication in English
- Experience with over-sea reporting lines (e.g. US West Coast, Europe) and working in
multiple time zones.
- Self sufficient without the need for daily direction from your manager
- Preference for candidates with experience at our current stage and beyond (over 10,000 customers, $50-200M ARR range, high growth, lots of change and building internal infrastructure).
TYPICAL DAY AS A MANAGER AT ALGOLIA:
- As an engineering manager, you are able to adapt to every situation with the objective of having your team always productive. There is no typical day when being an engineering manager, it’s up to you and your creativity to make the most out of your time and other’s time in an inconsistent environment.
- A typical day could consist of meeting with different stakeholders, being the communication bridge between them and your team members, saving them precious creative time.
- You will regularly meet with your reports, ensuring they always have a safe space to share concerns and highlights with you. Everyone has different ways of communicating and needs to be mentored, you will adapt your agenda and personalize the meetings for each one of them individually.
- As a leader and expert on managing development teams, you will make sure different rituals are respected and you will contribute actively to them.
- As an experienced engineer, you will spend some time being an individual contributor while being an example for your most junior colleagues. You are not afraid to own the most complex tasks when the need comes.
- Expertise on complex Ruby on Rails applications.
- Expertise in web technologies in general.
- Good knowledge of infrastructures behind web applications (Knowledge of K8S & AWS appreciated).
- Good knowledge of development best practices (automated tests, TDD, “extreme programming”, “Clean Code” by Martin Fowler...).
- Good knowledge of the typical development environment (bash, git...)
- Good knowledge of Agile methodologies.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment.
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY - Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Austin, and Bucharest. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 12,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, New York, Austin, Atlanta, and Bucharest. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄