Senior Software Engineer, Data
Caribou (View all Jobs)
Austin, Texas, United States
1. Phone call with recruiter 2. Phone call with hiring manager. Interview covers behavioral, technical, and cultural. 3. Phone call with 2 people (usually engineers) - Behavioral/Tech discussion 4. Coding practicum. 2.5 hours, choose from several languages. Invited to private Slack w/ 2 engineers. Practicum gets gradually harder (tests are failing, fix the code, etc). The further you progress, the more senior you're considered. You can ping engineers on Slack and they'll pair with you on Google Meet or answer questions!
Programming Languages Mentioned
At Caribou, we’re on a mission to help drivers save money and take control of their car payments. Caribou does this by using technology to unlock low rates, and people to make the process easy and enjoyable. We offer a fully online application and a dedicated team to walk you through the process. We put Drivers in control.
We have grown 20x in the past three years and raised a $115M Series C. We’re built by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries, and we’re proud to be backed by a great team of venture capital investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is looking for a Senior Software Engineer, Data to join a dynamic team building robust cloud-native solutions using best-in-class tooling and technologies. You will be part of the Data Engineering team, building our foundational data platform, pipelines, transformations, and integrations to formulate multiple high-level, high-visibility business decisions and intelligence. You will mentor, train, share and help drive the adoption of data management and governance best practices with others within engineering and the analytics departments. You will participate in defining and championing architectural choices to implement a data warehouse that will serve as a primary source of truth for self-service analytics, retaining data quality and trustworthiness, and providing consultative feedback to other teams in designing and modifying data models. You will leverage Airflow, BigQuery, Data Build Tool (dbt), Python, Kubernetes, and other tools comprising our modern data stack.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in one of the following engineering areas: Data, Analytics, BI, Data Warehousing, or ETL.
- 5+ years of experience writing high-quality and robust SQL for Analytical use cases
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in designing, manipulating, processing and extracting data for batch and incremental load processing.
- 3+ years of experience in creating consistently and maintaining the high-quality of dimensional models in Cloud environments.
- 3+ years of experience in modern object oriented programming languages (we use python).
- Demonstrated ability to design resilient and extensible data transformation processes via orchestration tooling such as Airflow.
- Ability to design and maintain data warehouses/marts in BigQuery.
- A strong understanding of data management best practices for Cloud Architectures. (AWS or GCP).
- Experience/Desire to work with stakeholders and consumers of data to understand data asset semantics, context, and value.
- Demonstrated ability to move quickly on data quality and observability issues to maintain stakeholder trust in company data.
- Demonstrated experience in providing constructive and actionable feedback on data-related initiatives to keep upstream data from other engineering teams plentiful and high-quality.
You are passionate about data, and love to build data platforms, pipelines and integrations. You most likely identify with many of these qualities:
- 5+ years of work experience working in the domain and tech described above.
- Crisp, clear, and effective communicator in writing, speaking, and coding.
- Collaborator who thrives in a social environment and contributes to enhancing and evolving current processes, so we can succeed as a team.
- Empathetic and considerate of not just first-order, but second-order and third-order effects of actions taken or not taken.
- Delivers high-quality work quickly, with confidence, and with a high degree of intentionality.
- Thinks and operates from the architectural level down to the details. Balances measuring twice and cutting once, while also always having a plan B for new situations.
- Curious and hungry learner who can apply and share knowledge and a growth mindset to both work and colleagues.
- Experience building internal data tools and frameworks.
How we will take care of you
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member, and we always strive to live up to our value Take Care of Each Other. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Competitive compensation: $160k-$185k annual salary
- Equity in a high-growth company
- 401k savings program with 3% company contribution
- Generous paid time off including: 20 days accrued PTO per year, 14 annual company holidays, 16-weeks paid parental leave, bereavement leave, and volunteer day
- Robust wellness benefits including company-paid plans for health, dental, vision, mental health, disability and basic life insurance
- Optional benefits to suit your individual circumstances such as HSAs, FSAs, supplemental life and medical insurance, and pet insurance
- Up to $1,000 per year for eligible professional development expenses
Our Core Values
We come from all walks of life and are joined together by our shared values, which guide our work. This helps us improve life for our customers, our communities and our team members.
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better every day
- Seek truth
The Engineering Tech Stack is not limited to this list but gives you a general flavor of our ecosystem: Rails, Kong, Airflow, Python, Node (NestJS), Typescript, GraphQL, Postgres, Google Cloud Platform, Argo CD & Workflows, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack, Prometheus, Grafana
This role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC; Denver, CO; Austin, TX. Alternatively, the Senior Software Engineer, Data may work remotely from a state where Caribou does business. However, this role will require attendance at occasional in-person team meetings. As a result, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be eligible for this position.
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above, and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄