Engineering Manager, Lead Enablement
Caribou (View all Jobs)
Denver, Colorado, United States
1. Phone call with recruiter 2. Phone call with hiring manager. Interview covers behavioral, technical, and cultural. 3. Phone call with 2 people (usually engineers) - Behavioral/Tech discussion 4. Coding practicum. 2.5 hours, choose from several languages. Invited to private Slack w/ 2 engineers. Practicum gets gradually harder (tests are failing, fix the code, etc). The further you progress, the more senior you're considered. You can ping engineers on Slack and they'll pair with you on Google Meet or answer questions!
Programming Languages Mentioned
At Caribou, we’re on a mission to help drivers save money and take control of their car payments. We use technology to unlock low rates and a team of great people to make the process easy and enjoyable. We offer a fully online application and a dedicated team to walk you through the process. We put Drivers in control.
Caribou is a fast-growing company built by leaders from the technology, automotive, and finance industries. We have grown 20x in the past three years and raised a $115M Series C. We’re proud to be backed by a great team of investors, including QED Investors, Goldman Sachs, Moderne Ventures, Accomplice, Link Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures and others.
About the Role
Caribou is looking for an Engineering Manager focused on Lead Enablement, to build and lead a team of engineers who’ll drive user acquisition and retention through the refinancing journey and deliver on the massive potential of the business. As a member of Caribou’s Engineering team, you will report to the Director of Engineering.
As the Engineering Manager for Lead Enablement, you will sit at the intersection of product, contact-center, and data. You will assume leadership of a team and grow it to support the full long term vision of increasing customer acquisition through effective marketing techniques and leveraging data for insights. You will oversee engineering teams laying the groundwork for improving lead qualification by maturing platforms that provide best-in-class services which simplify and streamline the qualification of customers for offers. You will support a sizable contact center as they partner with you in providing these services to the customer. Effective functioning of these engineering teams will allow Caribou to partner with more lenders and partners, while increasing Caribou’s loan making ability across a wider FICO spectrum.
In this role, you will have a broad overview and provide leadership and guidance over people, process and systems. The Engineering manager will:
- Be a servant leader overseeing the development, deployment, and maintenance of critical applications via cloud-native architectures.
- Build and support lead-enablement services to drive efficiency via our contact center as they service loans thru funding, including QA and titling.
- Closely partner across the consumer platform teams (top of funnel website, partner services, marketing experimentation) as you coordinate and execute targeted improvements to the platform.
- Grow and lead a team of engineers to success. You will make hiring decisions, manage performance, and provide ongoing coaching
- Work closely across the Engineering, Product, Marketing, and Analytics teams to synthesize business needs into an executable, strategic vision for our underwriting services.
- Be responsible for the overall delivery of project work and supporting the applications across your organization.
- Define and measure successful engineering outcomes and assume accountability for results while delegating architectural decisions to the seasoned engineering team.
- Develop technical strategy on how we can push the boundaries of platform capabilities, and pair with a Product manager on fleshing out how to turn ideas into reality.
This role can be based out of Caribou offices in Washington, DC; Denver, CO; Austin, TX. Alternatively, the Engineering manager may work remotely from a state where Caribou does business. However, this role requires attendance (optional) at occasional in-person team meetings. If you join us at these in-person meetings you would need to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus.
You are a natural leader and influencer capable of setting a vision for how technology investments enhance a Product and Engineering organization’s ability to deploy software and measure performance. You love learning. Whether at university/school, on the job, or in your free time - you put in the time & effort to develop your craft. You most likely identify with many of these qualities:
- 2+ years of experience in managing a team of engineers
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering along with experience in building enterprise grade software that is scalable and performant.
- Experience delivering enterprise applications that support internal stakeholders in delivering business value to customers.
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to solve problems quickly, establish new frameworks, ability to think on your feet, and see opportunities before others do. You can generalize both problems and solutions.
- Experience coordinating the work of multiple engineering teams executing in similar problem spaces to deliver against a shared vision
- Superb verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated experience engaging and influencing executives and evangelizing to stakeholders
- Experience with fintech systems, lead-gen platforms is nice to have.
- Experience with integrating with Salesforce is nice to have.
How we will take care of you
Everyone at Caribou is a valued team member, and we always strive to live up to our value Take Care of Each Other. Our compensation and benefits package includes:
- Competitive compensation: $180-210K annually
- Equity in a high growth startup
- 401k savings program with 3% company contribution
- Generous paid time off including: 20 days accrued PTO per year, 14 annual company holidays, 16-weeks paid parental leave, bereavement leave, and volunteer day
- Robust wellness benefits including company-paid plans for health, dental, vision, mental health, disability and basic life insurance
- Optional benefits to suit your individual circumstances such as HSAs, FSAs, supplemental life and medical insurance, and pet insurance
- Up to $1,000 per year for eligible professional development expenses
- See people as people
- Take care of each other
- Commit to the mission
- Move quickly and bravely
- Get better every day
- Seek truth
Technologies we teach and use - are not limited to this list but gives you a general flavor of our ecosystem: Typescript, GO, Python, Haskell, Node (NestJS), Rails (legacy), Kong, Airflow, Postgres, Google Cloud Platform, Argo CD & Workflows, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, ELK stack, Prometheus, Grafana
Caribou is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, marital status, military or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by law. This position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and the scope and responsibilities are subject to change. A pre-employment background check is required as a condition of employment.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄