Grants Manager (Outgoing)
Mozilla (View all Jobs)
New York, United States, Remote Canada, Remote Toronto, Remote US, Remote UK, Remote Germany
1. Deep-dive discussions on technical and mentorship problems solved in the past. No live coding. Total of 3 rounds.
$89,666 - $109,591
The Mozilla Foundation is a nonprofit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure that the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online!
Twenty years ago, this meant building a browser and protecting the open web. Today, it also includes making sure AI and data driven technology is more trustworthy. In order to focus on places where Mozilla can impact the next era of our work, we are increasingly working on the topic of trustworthy AI. For us, this means especially two things: human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated, and corporate accountability is real and enforced.
The Mozilla Foundation is seeking a Grants Manager (Outgoing) to manage the Foundation’s outgoing grant making processes. The Grants Manager (Outgoing) will be a member of the Finance & Operations team and report to the Director of Finance and Administration.
As a Grants Manager at Mozilla, you will…
- Administer Mozilla Foundation’s outgoing grant making processes and procedures in partnership with program, finance, legal, and other key stakeholders, ensure that Mozilla’s grantmaking processes concur with its policies and goals of the organization. These responsibilities include:
- Review and approve payments to grantees on an ongoing basis in order to ensure the appropriate allocation of expenses and serve as an approver in bill.com for such payments.
- Respond to applicant inquiries, and process and track the status of awards and fellowship agreements and payments.
- Support Mozilla's budgeting and forecasting process by providing the Senior Finance Analyst with up-to-date information on pending or planned grants.
- Monitor the grant pipeline to help resolve any issues and ensure timely processing of awards and fellowships.
- Ensure that Mozilla’s grantmaking complies with IRS regulations, Mozilla policies, and external funder requirements:
- Coordinate grant agreement processing, report reviews, and amendment requests with Program Officers, external tax counsel, and other stakeholders.
- Conduct initial due diligence review, which includes gathering information from program officers and applicants as needed and assessing supporting documents and proposal narrative for compliance with relevant IRS regulations and Mozilla and external funder policies; identify potential compliance issues with internal and external legal counsel and propose recommended solutions; draft grant agreements and liaise with external tax counsel to review agreements and raise/discuss concerns, ensuring follow-up with program officers and applicants/grantees as needed.
- Advise Program Officers on structuring grants and grant programs, compliance, and risk management.
- Partner with Incoming Grants Manager to review and develop subaward budgets that align with outgoing funding procedures.
- Monitor and review grantee reports to ensure compliance with relevant IRS regulations and Mozilla and external funder policies.
- Partner with key Department decision-makers and managers and lead the development and implementation of processes and procedures that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the outgoing grants management platform:
- Evaluate current outgoing grants management processes and lead the development & implementation of new processes and platform adjustments.
- Oversee outward grants management schedule and set & implement deadlines & milestones for key outgoing grants programs.
- Work with key Department decision makers to structure processes and procedures that strategically align with Department’s goals and responsibilities.
- Serve as the grants management system administrator (along with the Grants Administrator):
- Work with the Fellowship and Awards Program Officers to maintain the integrity of data in Fluxx, ensuring that we have an accurate record of Mozilla’s grantmaking and its impact.
- Oversee, in partnership with Fellowship and Awards Program Officers and Leadership, ongoing initiatives to improve the quality of data generated from Fluxx platform.
- Manage contractor relationships that support grants management activities.
- Stay up-to-date on Fluxx updates and upgrades, troubleshooting and testing implications for our Fluxx instance and integrating new features as needed.
- Provide technical support to staff and grantees who are using Fluxx
- Create customized reports for internal and external stakeholders using datasets from Fluxx.
- Update Fluxx forms and workflows as needed for Mozilla’s grant programs.
- Create and update Fluxx instructional manuals for staff.
- Train staff on how to use Fluxx and maintain the integrity of data in the system.
- Manage the Grants Administrator:
- Oversee and develop the Grants Administrator, who will provide support for the above and related grants management processes.
- The Grants Administrator will also provide support to the Contracts Management function. In partnership with the Contracts Manager, prioritize the work of the Grants Administrator so that their Grants Management and Contracts Management deliverables are completed in a timely manner.
Your Professional Profile:
- A minimum of 7 years of grants management experience of which 5 years are related to outgoing grants management; should have a strong understanding of grants processes and related compliance issues, particularly as it relates to grantmaking by 501(c)(3) public charities.
- Knowledge and strong experience with grants management systems and platforms. Experience as a Fluxx system administrator strongly preferred.
- Led the development and implementation of new grants management processes and procedures
- Knowledge and application of best practices in grant making.
- Exceptional customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to evaluate, improve, manage, and maintain systems and processes,
- Strong attention to detail, organization skills, and ability to balance competing priorities.
- Ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse partners, internally and externally.
- Dedication to service and support for members of our team; timely response to requests and follow-up as needed.
Salary and Benefits Information:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that takes into consideration the responsibilities and requirements of the role. We aim to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, along with mid-point, for this role in each of the key countries in which we employ staff is listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Germany: €77,973 - €95,300 (mid-point: €86,637)
- UK: £46,884 - £57,302 (mid-point: £52,093)
- Canada: $89,666 - $109,591 (mid-point: $99,629)
- US: $84,308 - $103,043 (mid-point: $93,675)
Depending on the successful candidate’s location, we may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting. This differential is applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate’s location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff along with representative examples of salary ranges, along with mid-point, with the geographical differential applied:
- Inner London: £51,103 - £62,459 (mid-point: £56,781)
- Toronto: $96,749 - $118,249 (mid-point: $107,499)
- New York: $93,412 - $114,171 (mid-point: $103,791)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.
We offer the following benefits:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices:
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄