Senior Frontend Engineer
Axios (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home project 2. Follow-up of take-home, involving a discussion.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We're hiring a Senior Frontend Engineer!
Why it matters: Our Engineers are a critical part of our mission to deliver the cleanest, smartest, most efficient, and trustworthy content to our users. You will architect and grow new and existing codebases, give technical input and feedback to Axios’ product and design teams for new features, and help develop the skills of less experienced engineers with industry best practices around testing, accessibility, and documentation.
Go deeper: In this role, you will make an impact on Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Architect and build significant features across the Axios web site, content/media management systems, and feeds
- Write clean, well-documented, and well-tested code
- Advocate for best practices, automation over repetition, the best technical approaches, and when to build vs buy
- Collaborate with Axios’ platform engineers, test engineers, product managers, and product designers to ensure we quickly and safely ship and iterate on high-quality products
- Mentor and coach members of the team through pair-programming and empathetic code review
- Share knowledge through presenting at guild meetings and demoing to team members and stakeholders
- Stay up to date with industry trends and advise the team on best practices
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission, and have the following skills:
- Experience building large, high-traffic frontend applications, with a sharp eye toward responsive and accessible user experiences
- Proven ability to ship high quality and testable code using Jest, React Testing Library and Storybook
- Experience with REST API development and best practices for API design
- Experience working on cross-functional agile teams where you advocate for technical needs as well as the best solution to the problems at hand
- Specific passion for user-focused and data-driven decision making
- Experience working on front end web performance, SEO and accessibility
- Experience with TDD and up-front tech design planning
- Experience working with asset management, content management, ad tech, and A/B testing solutions
- Caching and multi-layered caching strategies (e.g. redis, Varnish, but also Cloudflare)
- A passion for media and building award-winning brands
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄