Staff Engineer, Risk Data Platform
Stripe (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, Seattle, Remote (North America)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
We are building brand new services for our re-imagined Risk Platform that will protect Stripe users and businesses by detecting, mitigating and resolving risks related to fraud, credit, partner compliance and regulatory requirements. Risk Platform's services and infrastructure will be the canonical source of truth for managing our users' risk profiles. It will enable us to observe the current and predicted future impact on Stripe users and businesses in real-time. Our vision is to build a future where business risk management will be a critical part of all of Stripe product offering designs from day one!
Stripe handles hundreds of billions of dollars every year for millions of businesses around the world. With our hypergrowth, we are continuing to expand our product portfolio with new offerings like Capital, Corporate Card, Issuing, and Atlas. Our Risk Platform strategy is a core part of Stripe’s overall Platform strategy. Our Risk Platform will detect, enforce actions, mitigate and resolve risks for Stripe products across the globe. In addition, it will provide Stripe and its users the critically required visibility and management capability for the entire lifecycle management of risk. To achieve this vision we need to build hyperscale, reliable and secure platform systems and services that will integrate with all of current and future Stripe products.
What you’ll do:
Stripe Staff Engineers play an integral part in defining the technical roadmap and leading engineering efforts for building one of the most critical economic infrastructure pieces running on the internet. Our Staff Engineers define the system architecture, build services, evolve the collaborative, merit based, high velocity engineering processes and culture, and deliver engineering solutions for some of the toughest economic infrastructure problems for global markets. Our Staff Engineers regularly take on big and brand new visions in their technical roadmap, lead multiple engineering teams to build systems around it, and deliver systems to make the vision a reality for their users across the globe.
- Lead engineers in one or more talented engineering teams for needs assessment, system design, implementation and operations automation
- Collaborate closely with engineers, strategists, and leaders across the company to design and deliver systems that enable Stripe to respond quickly to new risks within our user population as well as the global macroeconomic environment
- Partner closely with engineers across Stripe to support their specific needs while maintaining a very high level of system reliability, security and consistency of data and experiences
- Drive and lead the technical roadmap to help the team deliver the best quality systems to interface effectively with the rest of Stripe engineering
- Actively mentor and coach other engineers, within the team and across Stripe, for their requirements engineering, system design and technical problem solving
- Contribute to Stripe-wide engineering initiatives as a member of Stripe’s Staff engineering community
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Demonstrated track record of solving deep technical problems in distributed systems and real time data technologies
- You’ve designed, implemented and operated backend distributed systems that are highly compliant, secure and scalable that form the backbone for the highest impacting user experiences
- Experience mentoring both junior and senior engineers
- Strong expertise in leading large projects across multiple teams
- You thrive while working closely with engineers at all levels across the company, and you love collaborating with users both internally and externally
- You partner well cross-functionally, and are able to think rigorously and make hard engineering and distributed system decisions and tradeoffs
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- You develop a healthy engineering and product work environment that’s both supportive and challenging
- You are an engineering leader who models good engineer behavior, practices and processes. You have been the owner of system architecture decisions
- You have 10+ years of engineering experience with design, implementation, and operations of critical distributed systems for global users and businesses
- It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄