Infrastructure Engineer, Service Networking
Stripe (View all Jobs)
Seattle or Remote (North America)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
C, Python, C++
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The Service Networking team at Stripe designs, builds, and operates two core services and infrastructure for nearly all of Stripe: A Service Discovery system that makes it possible for applications to find each other in Stripe’s internal network and a Service Mesh that makes it easy to interconnect modern applications in Stripe’s network with security, observability, failure handling, and traffic shaping. Our mission is to streamline and accelerate the onboarding and configuration of compute infrastructure for all of Stripe’s service teams so they can focus on building their applications.
What you’ll do
As an Infrastructure Engineer for Service Networking, you will be part of a team that designs, builds and operates core services and infrastructure for all of Stripe, including Service Discovery and Service Mesh. You’ll also be responsible for building a great customer experience for internal Stripe teams using your infrastructure, including onboarding new engineers.
- Build a great customer experience for internal Stripe teams using your infrastructure
- Design, build, and maintain distributed cloud infrastructure services
- Work on scaling, automation, reliability and observability of infrastructure services
- Operate your service, debug issues, and support customers
- Participate in roadmap planning and prioritization
- Onboard new engineers and present brown bag sessions to share your knowledge
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent field
- 2+ years of professional experience in a software development role
- Experience in managing Kubernetes clusters
- Experience using one of the major cloud providers - AWS/Azure/OCI/GCP
- Experience with Linux OS
- A strong engineering background in infrastructure services
- Experience developing, maintaining and debugging distributed systems
- Experience with ops culture and a deep understanding of metrics, alarms, and dashboards
- A strong engineering background and interest in systems challenges at scale
- Experience in Go, C++, Python, C or similar languages; YAML, AWS, and Linux
- Experience building infrastructure as a product centered around users’ needs
- Experience optimizing the reliability and security of distributed systems
- Experience with scaling and migrating systems in a changing environment that allows for little to no downtime
- Experience working with technologies such as Envoy, Istio, Consul, containerization, CI/CD pipeline, networking, and cloud native application development
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄