Industry Advocate, Stripe Terminal
Stripe (View all Jobs)
SF, NYC, Seattle, Chicago, US-Remote
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe Terminal helps our users extend their online presence to the physical world. The Terminal team’s mission is to make it as easy for businesses to accept in-person payments as the Stripe API has done for online payments. With Terminal, businesses can unlock in-person payments use cases that are right for their business model—whether it’s creating a superb retail experience, extending their website to a pop-up store, or enabling a mobile point-of-sale at their next event.
What you’ll do
We’re looking for an Industry Advocate to build and lead a global program around Terminal’s engagement with payments standards development organizations and financial industry partners who are involved in the development of in-person payments standards. This work will ultimately shape the future of Stripe’s in-person payments solution on a global basis.
In this role, you will collaborate day-to-day with product managers, engineers, and our partnerships teams, as well as our hardware and certifications teams, to define and execute on a roadmap related to standards. You will cultivate strong external partnerships across a variety of stakeholders ranging from payments companies to policymakers to represent Stripe in the standards lifecycle. Your positions will have a strong underpinning in Stripe Terminal’s business priorities, strategic direction, and product.
Our ideal candidate approaches the role with a users-first mentality, always solving for our users’ needs as they form their points of view. A successful candidate can both serve as a subject matter expert on today’s payments standards, and also know when to push the boundaries and advise on innovative approaches. A successful candidate will also have a demonstrated ability to develop external relationships, earn trust, and influence others. A strong sense of ownership, drive to have an impact, and entrepreneurial spirit are important. Prior payments experience is a bonus for this role.
- Serve as Stripe’s internal subject matter expert on card-present payments standards (EMV, PCI, etc.)
- Engage standards bodies and maintain pulse on upcoming standards changes
- Advocate and communicate Stripe positioning on new and existing standards to working groups
- Participate in key (semi)annual meetings with standards bodies, presenting a point of view developed in close collaboration with Stripe’s engineering and security teams
- Draft comments to standards drafts and RFCs that are in line with Stripe’s goals
- Lead continual engagement with our financial partners, card networks, and other industry participants
- Serve as an important voice in meetings with Stripe’s technology partners in understanding growth opportunities that are predicated on compliance with payments standards
- Engage with Stripe’s policy team at the intersection of regulation and standards, and help Stripe to proactively stay ahead of anticipated changes in regulation
- Provide recommendations on large users deals where standards and certifications are involved
- Act as an advisor to internal Stripe teams as they develop forward-looking roadmaps and design solutions
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 10+ years of total work experience with 5+ years of industry advocacy work
- Strong agency, can handle ambiguity in a fast-moving organization, and thrives on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Strong communication skills, in both verbal and written form, and ability to influence internal and external stakeholders across a wide variety of functions
- Technical acumen, an ability to understand Stripe’s product portfolio and strategy and use this understanding to define requirements with partners and evaluate new proposals
- Experience defining and executing partnership strategies to build innovative product experiences
- Interest in and intellectual curiosity about payments, economic infrastructure, and Stripe’s partner ecosystem
- Prior payments experience
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄