Senior Data Scientist, Payments
Monzo (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Take-home, & call to discuss it 3. 2-3 hours of on-site interviews (systems/behavioural)
Programming Languages Mentioned
We're looking for a Product Data Scientist excited to help us optimise payments for our users. Our payments teams allow users to save, spend safely and transfer their money to where they need it. They work on integrating with other banks, sending cards to users, processing card payments and building and maintaining our transfer infrastructure. They also run our savings marketplace which allows our users to pick a savings provider with terms and interest rates that suit them and manage their savings directly from their Monzo app. You’ll cover a large scope, helping us understand and improve the user experience and overall performance of our payments products.
At Monzo, we're building a bank that is fair, transparent and a delight to use. We’re growing extremely fast and have over five million customers in the UK. We’ve built a product that people love and more than 80% of our growth comes from word of mouth and referrals.
Our Product Analytics team's mission is to:
Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
We have a strong culture of data-driven decision making across the whole company. And we're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. All our data lives in one place and is super easy to use. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
We work in a matrix structure, where you’ll be working day-to-day with the cross functional payments team (including designers, marketers, engineers, product managers etc.) but you’ll be part of our Product Data Team and reporting to a Data Science Manager so that you have the best of both worlds.
As part of your role, you'll:
- Own our payments data and make this easily available to stakeholders of all levels across the company
- Use your commercial awareness to solve the problems with the greatest business impact and choose the right approach for your problem
- Use your expertise to generate data insights to support the team to set and meet their goals
- Actively explore the user journey and performance of payments to enable the team to provide a seamless experience to our users
- Find enjoyment in contributing to data across Monzo by sharing your insights, contributing to our core data pipelines and proactively spotting opportunities for applications of your work in other areas of the business
What’s special about data at Monzo?
Autonomy. We believe that people reach their full potential when you can remove all the operational obstacles out of their way and let them run with their ideas. This comes together with a strong sense of ownership for your projects. At Monzo, you will get full access to our data and analytics infrastructure. When you discover something interesting, there is nothing stopping you from exploring and implementing your coolest ideas.
Cutting-edge managed infrastructure. All our data infrastructure lives on the Google Cloud Platform, so you don't need to spend your time configuring or managing clusters, databases, etc. All of our infrastructure is designed so that we can have really high data quality, and spend most of our time using that data to support business decisions.
Automation. We aim to automate as much as we can, so that every person in the team can focus on the things that humans do best. As with all data science work, there’s some analysis and reporting, and as much as possible we encourage self-serve access to our data through Looker.
You should apply if:
- What we’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You're impact driven and eager to have a real positive impact on the company, product, users and very importantly your colleagues as well
- You're commercially minded and can put numbers into business perspective
- You’re as comfortable getting hands-on as taking a step back and thinking strategically
- You have a self-starter mindset; you proactively identify issues and opportunities and tackle them without being told to do so
- You're a team player whom your colleagues can rely on
- You have solid grounding in SQL and preferably Python
- You have experience in conducting large scale A/B experiments
- You have experience working in the payments domain
Nice to haves:
- You have multiple years of experience in product or growth analytics, preferably in a fast moving tech company
- We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
- This role can be based in our London office or remotely within the UK
- We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
- Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
- If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
- The application process consists of a 30 min phone call with a recruiter, an initial call with someone from the team, followed by a practical written exercise and 2-3 video interviews. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions - you can get a feel for our hiring processes here.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄