Senior Software Engineer, Backend Infrastructure - Performance
Samsara (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking an experienced Infrastructure Engineer to join our Infrastructure team.
Samsara’s platform supports industries that power our economy. From managing truck fleets, to dispatching emergency vehicles, to securing warehouses, our customers depend on us for their critical operations. As an engineer on the Infrastructure team, your goal will be to continually improve the reliability, performance, observability, and efficiency of the infrastructure and microservices that power Samsara’s platform. Your decisions will have a significant impact on Samsara and on our customers.
On this team, we seek to build foundations that our product teams can build upon to experiment and iterate on new products and features rapidly. We maintain a set of capabilities we provide to the rest of engineering, such as data storage, container orchestration, real-time data ingestion, and graphql execution. We also provide services to enhance the productivity of developers across a variety of product groups, including local and CI build systems, deployment machinery, language & framework upgrades and tooling for testing. You will have an opportunity to work closely with users who use the products you helped build everyday, collecting immediate feedback to continuously improve our infrastructure. There is a lot of work to do to support our rapidly growing customer base, and we’d love for you to be part of it.
In this role, you will:
- Design and build infrastructure to support the development of a highly available real-time streaming platform that collects data from Samsara’s connected devices
- Continuously improve our reliability and scale, while collaborating with product teams to identify opportunities to improve efficiency and optimize performance
- Improve engineering standards, tooling and processes
- Debug and resolve production issues across varying services and levels of the stack
- Build a great customer experience for people using our infrastructure
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for this role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of experience on infrastructure-focused teams
- Experience working with web services deployed on Cloud providers such as AWS, Azure or GCP
An ideal candidate also:
- Has 4+ years of relevant industry experience in software development
- Is experienced at writing high quality code in a programming language (e.g. Ruby, Scala, Go)
- Is adept at building and using observability tools, frameworks, and standards
- Is proficient with relational databases such as MySQL, caching technologies like Redis and NoSQL databases like DynamoDB
- Knows their way around a UNIX shell and a Linux operating system
- Enjoys thinking about systems - their life cycles, edge cases, interactions, and failure modes
- Enjoys working collaboratively with developers of different focuses (such as frontend, mobile, firmware, ML/computer vision)
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄