Senior Guidance Engineer, Navigation API
Mapbox (View all Jobs)
Remote, United States
1. Conversational interviews 2. Paid onsite project with team.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
Navigation serves customers with use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation in electric vehicles to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are often at the heart of the operations of our customers’ businesses, powering experiences and operations for customers like DPD, Porsche, Doordash and Instacart. The Navigation team develops and operates web services powering virtually all of Mapbox’s strategic navigation initiatives in consumer, automotive, and logistics. This is a highly multidisciplinary team, with work spanning distributed systems on AWS to geospatial localization, traffic telemetry, and mapping.
What You’ll Do
As a Senior Guidance Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing and operating significant areas of our routing services. In this role, you can expect to:
- Solve complex guidance scenarios that don’t have good solutions today
- Develop best-in-class guidance experiences that make routing enjoyable, not robotic
- Provide highly customizable guidance solutions for large OEMs as well as very niche customers with unique use cases
- Build the tools others will use to unlock incredible mapping and navigation solutions never seen before
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience engineering modern C++ and Linux server applications in a commercial or open-source development environment, or equivalent performance-critical systems experience with Go, Rust, or the JVM.
- Knowledge of operating systems and distributed systems (e.g., fault-tolerance, consistency, service discovery, etc.)
- A rigorous approach to problem solving, using experiments and data analysis to drive quality of service improvements
- Willingness to go beyond your comfort zone and develop new skills across the full range of our stack
- Experience building navigation guidance solutions including rigorous quality testing
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄